DIY dual input DVI switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycochiken

EDIT: thanks to doggy I now know I am looking for a way to make a male to male Y DVI connector
however it needs some kind of switch I have seen this for vga cables

Hey everyone I like many other people am in love with dual monitors, and like many people I have a mac and a PC (for coding reasons). I don't want to own four monitors (okay I do but I can't afford it). Basically I need a way to switch which computer sends signals to the monitors.

So I went out looking for a dvi cord that could go to 2 computers and one monitor, and be switched back and forth. I was unable to find any such device, excepting a huge clunky box that would also switch mice and keyboards back and forth, it was insanely expensive, and did more than I needed.

Now I appeal to all you experts to find a way to solve this problem. I was wondering if I could just run 2 DVI cables through a switch of some kind I made myself or bought. It is also possible that there is some cheap product I overlooked.

Any input is much appreciated, and if I do it myself I will post instructions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…