Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Network Storage Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some help building a network storage drive to serve as a backup archive for two computers on a small ship board network. I know these drives can be purchased commercially but all the ones I have seen are much bigger larger, several Tera Bytes, than what I need, 500 gigs max. Any help or a nudge in the right direction as far as hardware and software that I could piece together myself or buy for less than $700.00 to $1000.00 would be a great help.

Thanks
Nate

For $390 you could buy a **broken link removed**, a well respected storage solution. you could also download a copy of FreeNAS on a beige box PC and stuff it to taste with a 500GB drive.

Last edited:
If you don't need much performance, mirror two 1TB drives. $60 bucks a piece at tigerdirect. Most motherboards support two or three sata drives, use software raid in linux... cheap. Be sure you make backups, because raid/mirroring is not a backup solution.

I'd take a Synology NAS (Gigabit Ethernet) over a Drobo (Firewire / USB) anyday. I use a DS110j and it's a fantastic little NAS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back