Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DMM, what it mean on ±(0.025%+5) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

I am planning to buy a new digital meter.

While reading on the spec, it show:

DC voltage range: 400mV, 4V,40V, 400V, 1000V
Accuracy: ±(0.025%+5)

Question:
what does it mean on ±(0.025%+5) ?

Thank you,

Well, the 0.025% part means the multimeter reading will be accurate to within 0.025%. I think the number that follows is the number of counts - it's to do with rounding error and noise limitations.

Brian

VictorPS said:
I am planning to buy a new digital meter.

While reading on the spec, it show:

DC voltage range: 400mV, 4V,40V, 400V, 1000V
Accuracy: ±(0.025%+5)

Question:
what does it mean on ±(0.025%+5) ?

Thank you,
hi,
Is the meter a 5 digit display, the Accuracy: ±(0.025%+5) usually indicates its a 5 digit.??? Lets know.

I would guess that the DVM has a 5 digit display (or 4 3/4 digit ie 399.99).

As for the +/- 0.025%, this is reasonably obvious, except that it does not state whether that is 0.025% of the actual reading, or 0.025% of full scale.

The +5, I assume this means that the last digit of the display could be up to 5 bits out.

So, if the meter were reading a standard 100.000 volts, it could display anything between 99.9 and 100.15 volts.
(400v range 0.025% = 0.1 volt, and add 5 bits to the last digit).

JimB

Accuracy specifications can be very frustrating to figure out. Manufactures are of course in competition with others so such specs are important to their marketing efforts and not always totally honest or at least misleading.

Accuracy is not a simple specification where one number can totally describe the meters attributes and most don't publish their full testing protocol.

Typically you get what you pay for in this area and their is a reason the Fluke and HP (agilent) meters are so respected by both the pros and hobbyist.

Lefty

JimB said:
I would guess that the DVM has a 5 digit display (or 4 3/4 digit ie 399.99).

As for the +/- 0.025%, this is reasonably obvious, except that it does not state whether that is 0.025% of the actual reading, or 0.025% of full scale.

With most DMMs it's usually a measure of the actual reading.

Brian

Yes, it is a 5 digit DMM.
https://www.uni-trend.com/UT71E.html

but how about the "+30"?
AC Voltage 4V/40V/400V/1000V (0.4%+30)

Do you think this model UT71E of (China made) DMM is good?
I have seen the actual thing, it look quite solid.
It can link to PC through USB or RS232 too...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
him
This is an extract from the user manual for your meter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back