Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I need clamping diodes on PIC A/D ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need the 1N4148 diodes as seen in the schematic below?

Attachments

• Diode Clamp.png
    Diode Clamp.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 222
William At MyBlueRoom said:
Do I need the 1N4148 diodes as seen in the schematic below?

No, the PIC has internal ones, although you would be advised to check the datasheet, because there are a few pins that don't (such as RA4, because it's open-collector).

It is fine to use the internal clamps if you are only using 1 A/D input. If you have 2 or more, when one of the inputs "clamps" then it will effect the accuracy of the A/D readings on the other pins. Atleast that was my experience with the 16F872....

kchriste said:
It is fine to use the internal clamps if you are only using 1 A/D input. If you have 2 or more, when one of the inputs "clamps" then it will effect the accuracy of the A/D readings on the other pins. Atleast that was my experience with the 16F872....

Then don't use Vdd as the reference - which is a poor idea anyway!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back