Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do These Screws Resist Rust & If So For How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Wasn't sure where to place this post, but I was curious if the screws in the attached photo resist rust and if they do, how long will they provide that protection?

The application I'll be using them for will be outdoors, however, the application will rarely stay outside while it is raining, but there is a rare chance the screws will come in contact with "some" moisture over time.

If these screws do rust, does anyone know if Lowes sells aluminum versions of these or something I can use to protect them from rusting?

Thanks! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
Avoid aluminum screws at all costs. Alumimum and ferrous alloys hate each other. At noted, stainless steel screws will be best for not rusting. Brass isn't bad. Don't forget that if you don't need a lot of holding power, nylon screws are great, but may not withstand UV radiation from the sun so will deteriorate. Farm supply stores are often a good source for oddball hardware. Our local one has both SAE and metric sizes and various materials as well. They also have larger bolts graded for higher strength.

Brass will corrode worse than steel (even zinc coated) if there is any kind of acidity around. Brass requires a PH neutral environment to remain stable, it's also very ductile meaning week. For outdoor applications even if it's twice the price I'd go with stainless steel hardware everytime. 316 series stainless is the 'good stuff'

You don't need to go to smallparts.com for stainless steel. Practically every lumber yard and hardware store around here stocks them. They're expensive, but not that expensive.

Last edited:
As stainless steel becomes your new best friend and eventually you get into larger than 8-32 nuts and bolts another new best friend should be neolube as a gift from the gods. :)

Ron

At times, I feel I can buy a 100 for what I'd pay for 10. At my local hardware store and can buy by the box of 100 as well and I do. Phillips #8 sheet metal.

But then, I'm always looking for wierd things like a #6 carriage "bolt". Needed two. Had to buy 100.

Brass will corrode worse than steel (even zinc coated) if there is any kind of acidity around. Brass requires a PH neutral environment to remain stable, it's also very ductile meaning week.

Which is why we have all these brass locksets, deadbolts, door handles and kickplates for our exterior doors. And don't forget brass padlocks. I thought we were using this project outdoors, not at the bottom of the Great Salt Lake or in a battery plant. My mistake.

What does NaCl have to do with pH? Doesn't anyone here realize that brass is used all over boats?

Sheesh. The great Internet fount of misinformation continues to flow ...

For show Dean. For strength it has none. Don't confuse use of a lot of material for it being a superior one in any specific application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back