Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do They Make A Component Similar To...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

You guys know how some breadboards have the red/black line that goes all the way down one side of the board, and if you have a 5v power supply and you place a positive lead from the 5v power supply into one of the holes that are among the red line, all the holes among that red line are now connected to 5v?

Well I was wondering if they make a component (not a breadboard) that functions similar but for higher voltage/current such as 40v/30A or greater? Basically the component would be like one long metal piece that has screw terminals on it so you can connect different devices...
I'd think they would but I just don't know the right name for it to even make Google useful :D

Last edited:
Hi,

I dont know of any such device off hand that can work that high (30 amps), but you can make your own i guess if you get some copper buss bar (rectangular cross section) and drill and tap several holes in it for say 6-32 screws or something like that.
The problem i find with screw terminals however is that they are a pain to work with. You have to keep unscrewing and screwing to change components, and you also have to get the lead of the component under the screw just right or else it pushes out or squashes the lead. If you go to put two components under one screw that's really a problem because one lead pushes out usually.
See i've built several power supplies with rather heavy duty screw terminals (look for 'terminal blocks') and i can tell you they are best when you dont have to keep changing wires or components to the screw terminals, like for more permanent installations. For experimenting they do work but they are a little bit of a pain.

If you use copper buss bar, you probably want something at least one-eighth inch thick or better, and say one-half inch wide.

If you are still interested you can look for some heavy duty terminal blocks as they might help if you dont want to roll your own.

Last edited:
Hi,

I dont know of any such device off hand that can work that high (30 amps), but you can make your own i guess if you get some copper buss bar (rectangular cross section) and drill and tap several holes in it for say 6-32 screws or something like that.
The problem i find with screw terminals however is that they are a pain to work with. You have to keep unscrewing and screwing to change components, and you also have to get the lead of the component under the screw just right or else it pushes out or squashes the lead. If you go to put two components under one screw that's really a problem because one lead pushes out usually.
See i've built several power supplies with rather heavy duty screw terminals (look for 'terminal blocks') and i can tell you they are best when you dont have to keep changing wires or components to the screw terminals, like for more permanent installations. For experimenting they do work but they are a little bit of a pain.

If you use copper buss bar, you probably want something at least one-eighth inch thick or better, and say one-half inch wide.

If you are still interested you can look for some heavy duty terminal blocks as they might help if you dont want to roll your own.

Yeah something like this would be great, but I don't think the rows/columns are connected together: https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Dual-Terminal-Block/dp/B004GIGTHA

Like if the bottom row was fully connected, and the top row was fully connected, this would be exactly what I need.

I also looked at that link Menticol provided, and the first image was right up the alley for what I need I believe.

Update: I think I found the right name for what it is I'm needing: Bus Bar or Busbar
As can be seen here: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Ampere-Common-Terminal/dp/B000KOR7DE

I just need one smaller in diameter...9" is way too long :D

Last edited:
Return to your local Lowes (I bet they know you by now) and head for the Electrical section. You should find the bus connectors used in circuit breaker panels. I believe that is what you are after. :) For example where all the white (neutral) and Green or bare (Grounds) tie into. I believe this is the animal you seek. They come in assorted sizes.

Ron

Last edited:
Return to your local Lowes (I bet they know you by now) and head for the Electrical section. You should find the bus connectors used in circuit breaker panels. I believe that is what you are after. :) For example where all the white (neutral) and Green or bare (Grounds) tie into. I believe this is the animal you seek. They come in assorted sizes.

Ron

Ron

Yep - just what I was going to reccommend; though if the OP needs something with more positions available, I'm not sure what the longest Lowes sells - the OP might need to have something like that custom fabricated (possible $$$ - unless you order up multiples)...

:)

/you beat me to it, Ron...

Ron

Ron

Well I actually already bought 2 off Amazon earlier, and by the way, I don't go the Lowes that much!...just every weekend :eek: hehe!

Oh well, now you will have a fancy one. :)

Ron

hi Ron,

I had forgotten all about those breaker box power buss strips, thanks for bringing those up here. They should do the job nicely.

hi Ron,

I had forgotten all about those breaker box power buss strips, thanks for bringing those up here. They should do the job nicely.

Hi Ya MrAl

Yeah, seems every time I do a load center I come up short on tie points. Myself and Cr0sh it seems were a little late with the suggestion. :) The ordered bus should do just fine.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I dont do that much work on home electrical wiring but i do help out the neighbors once in a while. Last time i saw the inside of a large breaker box was about 6 months ago.

I'll mention "DIN Rail mounting and terminal strips". Ths is the standard way of building control panels in industry. The biggest problem is trying to find a few. Phoenix Contact, Weidmuller, Altech are some of the top names. You can find many such items, like wire to connector devices, relays, terminal strips, contactors etc that are all DIN rail mountable.

Simply, the system consists of a "T" shaped 32 mm rail, called TS32 (come in all sorts of versions). there are "End stops" which are immoble on the bar. Then terminals whch can be placed right next to each other. They can come in multiple levels (3 to 4), an END plate, which is used to cover the last terminal in a group and buss bar devices that can connect groups of terminals together. Screw and push in wire fastening are the two methods. It's an Electrical/electronics/connector erector set. You can re-use the components. You can get AC outlets that are DIN rail mountable too. It's a build your own. The biggest problem is the quantity required to order.

Here is AN EXAMPLE of what you were looking for: **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back