Do UPS have and Isolation transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I wanted to by some UPS to protect some equipment.

I just wanter to know if they will kill the power to the surge surprised side of things, I don't care about the battery backup, just in the event that it browns out, that there would be some kind of current sensing that would kick the reset button.

Also do they have an isolation transformer inside them as well?

It really depends on what kind of ups and what kind of surge we´re talking about.

I'm thinking that they are not Isolated in the medical safety context, that is, the case is tied to the Green wire, and Neutral (White wire) sails straight through. The Input side Line (Black wire) is connected through to the output side through some circuitry, but not really isolated. There maybe more transient suppression on the output side, though.

Here's the schematic for the CyberPower line of devices: http://www.genius.ru/servicecenter/..._Manual_-_PR1500E-2200E-3000E_V00_050829_.pdf

Check somewhere about page 6. There is no isolation, as MikeMI suggests.

John

Ok, I've got some High Price Items, I'm trying to protect. We don't have the budget, so I'm going to see if the CyberPower devices, could help with Brown out conditions. I just want the thing to kill power, if such a condition exist. I'm just thinking it would be nice if it sensed Voltage and if it's below 20% it puts a kill on the secondary. I think I have the Suppression covered. All except a direct lighting strike.

Last edited:
Ok, I see the AC Neg line sailing through and there is not separation from Line Voltage unless I put the device on the Battery power side, If on the Surg side I will be susceptible to brown out. It's like a backup generator system, once Voltage stops it kills power, and begins generating. But, with a UPS it requires a reset.

But, nothing is said as to how low line voltage drops for it to kicks out and will not try buck boost the voltage.

Still a bit confused.

Wait I just read the System Function Block... Non critical loads are lost when the output relay opens for the boost relay to supply power from the battery to the critical load.

So, in theory the surg side will be shut off until reset.

If thats true then I'm in good shape, the problem is when does this happen, at or below 20%? Thats the real question, is it based only on current and if so at what point will this happen?

Edit: Never mind I have more reading to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…