Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you like the prefixes?

Please select your view:

• I like them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont like them

• They are annoying

• I never noticed them

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
Hi,

In this forum we've been testing the use of prefixes for a few months and would like to know your feedback. Do you like how it categories threads in a sub-forum? Do you find it more annoying than worth while? Shall we add more or take them away?

Your feedback is most appreciated.

If you're unfamilar with them they are the named icons to the left of the post title:
Capture.JPG

Regards,
EM

I do not mind them personally. it is a good idea on the buying/selling forum but i see little point on the others

I not only "do not mind them", I think they are an excellent idea and very useful--take the member's lounge, for instance. I have made some posts under "humor", started a thread under "rant", etc. etc. etc. I think it was very helpful to be able to categorize my specific posts.

Der Strom

Not a plug, but check out a site like fark.com; the secondary categorization feature of the site relies on 'tags' which are exactly the same as prefixes, although they have neater icons, the flat text in a bubble is not eye grabbing. It's like allowing sub forums of common intent within a forum without creating a horrible tree branch of a billion forums and sub forums. The icons and names themselves should be developed over time from feedback from the users to balance the number of posts in each type of tree.

It's all hearsay until you implement the system on the entire website and see how people use it.

I really dislike the fact you have to choose one. I end up having to post a thread twice because I forgot to choose a category. I also dislike the fact I can't see if I have previously replied to a thread or not.

Add the "you have posted to this thread" arrow and have a default category and I'd be happy again.

Mike.

Pommie, isn't that what the subscribed threads function is for?
Default category, yes a requirement. If you reply in a thread it should default to the threads category not require a new one.

I just hit the "New Posts" button and scan down to see which threads I have previously contributed to. The prefixes remove this ability.

Mike.

Great feedback everyone.

I really dislike the fact you have to choose one. I end up having to post a thread twice because I forgot to choose a category. I also dislike the fact I can't see if I have previously replied to a thread or not.

Yes, it's an extra pain having to select the prefixes. I'm going to work on having it pre-selected in the next update I do.

Add the "you have posted to this thread" arrow and have a default category and I'd be happy again.

There is a green icon in the forum's list to say which posts you have participated in:

Capture.JPG

Is that what you mean?

micr0man, did you know you can click on them to sort?

Regards,
EM

The green icon isn't on the list of "New Posts" which means I would have to navigate each forum in order to see posts I have participated in. Actually, I just checked and I don't have the green icon anywhere! In fact, the only icon I have is the attachment icon. I also don't have the "manage view" button.

Mike.

That's silly the post listing should be the same for every forum and for new listings or for different categories. No wonder things get so confusing as there's not truly common user interface.

The green icon isn't on the list of "New Posts" which means I would have to navigate each forum in order to see posts I have participated in. Actually, I just checked and I don't have the green icon anywhere! In fact, the only icon I have is the attachment icon. I also don't have the "manage view" button.

Mike.

WOW, thats a massive bug! I'm going to fix that straight away! Hang ten!

Okay, it's not a bug. You simply have subscriptions turned off. It's strange that there is no dedicated icon to show that you have participated.

A workaround for this would be to enable subscriptions (click My Account menu > General Settings) and change Default Subscription type to either "Through my control panel" or "Weekly Email".

Regards,
EM

There is a dedicated icon to show I have participated. It's the normal icon with an arrow to indicate participation. The thread prefixes do not have this arrow. It's only the prefixes that remove this useful feature which is one of the reasons I don't like them.

Mike.

Attachments

• replied.png
    replied.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 265
I'll tell you what I would like: A distinction that it's the OP. e.g. Print the OP's handle in italics in each thread. Al do it in the thread update emails.

I don't mind the prefixes in the lounge. Possibly buy/sell and repair, but not anywhere else.

Last edited:
Pommie, there is also another way to see what threads you have subscribed to--Ones with new posts are even in bold! :D

Go to the upper-right-hand side of your screen and click on where it says "My Account"
Picture 6.png

In the drop-down menu, choose "Subscribed Threads".
Picture 7.png

Unfortunately, I didn't have any unread threads, so you'll just have to take my word for it that they are bold when unread:
Picture 8.png

I hope this helps!
Der Strom

Since Pommie mentioned the issue about replied to threads I've added a new icon to the right. You can see it in DerStrom8's third image. It looks like a letter.. Hover over it also tells you how many replies you've made.

Ah, I thought that looked new ;)

"al" is "And" really mangled. The update emails would have the OP's name italicized too. So, is it an easy change? Italic is a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back