Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does a socket for Atmega8/168 mlf package exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandirks

I have an Arduino board (https://www.arduino.cc) that I can program using the Arduino environment. Suppose I have a project where I want to use the smaller Atmega 8 9or Atmega168 in mlf package (to save weight/space). Would it be possible to make some kind of converter board that I can put in the Atmega8 dip socket on my arduino board and that holds a socket for an Atmega8 in mlf package.

Do such sockets exist?

If yes, where can I find them?

You should think about that for a moment =) The converter board itself + the mega8 mlf is almost gaurnteed to weight more and be larger than a normal M8. Considering the size of the Arduino board which is pretty modest for what it has if you need smaller size and weight than that the only thing you can do is start removing features, which would require a complete PCB redesign.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I want to use the converter board to put the atmega8 in a socket on the converter board, program it, remove the mlf from the programming socket and solder it to the production board.

Ahh, okay, that makes more sense. Google is a wonderful thing by the way. Searching for "mlf to dip adapter" found the bellow site.

**broken link removed**

I have something similar for 8pin soic to dip and all that's required is a good eye to line it up to the adapter and a slight bit of pressure on top will give you good enough contact for programming.

Ok, thanks!

smt-adapter.com doesn't seem to have something for the 32 pin mlf to 28 pin pdip, but I will search for something or maybe design it myself.

Good to know that a little pressure will work!

Thanks for your help!

Didn't think of the 32 pin MLF to 28 pin mapping issue. I forget MLF's have more leads than a DIP verisioned part. I don't deal with packages that size yet =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back