Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone know what has happened to arduino.cc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0sh

I know that ET is biased more toward PICs and other low-level dev work, but I thought I would post something there in case anyone had an idea?

arduino.cc seems to be down - since approximately 1:00am or so (?) last night (I am not absolutely certain on this).

Does anyone know what is going on? I never heard about a "planned" outage on the Arduino forums, nor have I seen anything from anywhere else...?

...unless this is something weirdly local from my end (on Cox here in Arizona, USA)...

???

:confused:

Seems to be working fine for me cr0sh?

https://www.arduino.cc/

I did see something about:

there is a server migration in progress. It was supposed to take 20 minutes but the hosting provider is having some trouble

from a Twitter link that is about 7 hours old. However, it is working fine for me from Cleveland, OH. Using Time Warner Cable.

Ron

Last edited:
Well - I'm getting weird errors. First, it was just timing out. Then about a few hours ago, it started to put a query string of something like ?id=some-weird-code; the code would change each time you told the browser to hit it anew (not on refresh, though - you had to go to the URL and hit return for it to happen). Now, when I hit that link you posted (ie, standard link) - it gives this "link" back in the URL textbox:

Code:
https://id.arduino.cc/auth/login/?returnurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arduino.cc%2F

...and an error message in the window that reads "A Database Error Occurred - Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings." (and the title of the page is "Database Error" - this is the page source (not that it really matters):

HTML:
<html>
<head>
<title>Database Error</title>
<style type="text/css">

body {
background-color:	#fff;
margin:				40px;
font-family:		Lucida Grande, Verdana, Sans-serif;
font-size:			12px;
color:				#000;
}

#content  {
border:				#999 1px solid;
padding:			20px 20px 12px 20px;
}

h1 {
font-weight:		normal;
font-size:			14px;
color:				#990000;
margin: 			0 0 4px 0;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">

body {
}

#content  {
}

h1 {
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
	<div id="content">
		<h1>A Database Error Occurred</h1>
		<p>Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings.</p>	</div>

</body>
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">

body {
}

#content  {
}

h1 {
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
	<div id="content">
		<p>Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings.</p>	</div>

</body>
</html>
</html>
	<div id="content">

</body>
</html>

I'm going to try clearing my cache to see if that helps at all, but I'm not expecting much given what I am seeing (this seems external to me); I'll report back here what if anything I find...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm - just tried to hit the forums at https://arduino.cc/forum/, and got this error page:

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

This does not seem to be cache related...

Apparently a guy in spain is having similar issues and can't get on to the forums or site; so I am not the only one (they've been having weird server issues lately, and Ron's note that they were doing an upgrade - which I confirmed on DavidC's twitter - must mean something has gone really wrong).

Something is weird. Still works fine for me as well as using the last link you posted. I have no problem with either MSIE or Firefox as I tried both browsers. I don't understand why the token? I want to associate that with something like Token Based Authentication. I simply don't get it? You have removed cookies, cleaned the browser cache, done about all that should clear the problem. It would be nice if we had a few more people try and see what their results are.

Ron

I found another guy who was having issues as well (no idea about location); I read on massimo's twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/mbanzi

That they are moving domain hosting off of godaddy due to godaddy's support of SOPA. This is making me stew, now.

SOPA is one of the worst things yet to be happening to the internet, and despite the massive lack of support by many major internet stakeholders (and complaints from numerous users, internet petitions, writing/calling/emailing congress, etc), that doesn't seem to be enough to stop it, or slow it. I was just reading a thread today on Slashdot (a place I rarely frequent anymore - but back in the day was pretty prolific on) about how SOPA is seemingly "unstoppable", that it's going to shred the internet as we know it, doom and gloom.

Now - I don't put much into the whole "doom and gloom" scenario; but given the upheavals it is already causing (and it's not even a law yet), I just don't know what to think any more...

:(

Likely the issues that I am seeing is due to the migration; there is a caching issue, but it's caching outside (DNS caching?) of my control, and its going to take a while (24-48 hours?) for the servers to "catch up"...

Ok - now this is weird, and maybe it is me? I just tried hitting arduino.cc with chrome, and it comes up fine; so do the forums...wth...

Ok - it was my browser - but I think part of it is the server migration, too - I cleared my cookies for arduino.cc (in firefox) and I could bring up the site. So I went to log in; nothing - blank page. Tried to refresh, nothing. Tried to go to arduino.cc - kept getting the same ?token= page...weird.

Found that on the site, after clearing cookies, if I went to the register page - even though I wasn't logged in (the forum says I'm a "guest") - the registration page was saying I was logged in and couldn't register until I had logged out. By going to id.arduino.cc/auth/logout - that would really log me out. I could then go to the login page. Attempting to use my username/password to log in, though - resulted in me getting back in the same issue of the ?token= redirects etc - nothing working again (until I 'reset' everything once more). I think I am giving up on this for tonight... :(

I went to bed. Mr. Cr0sh I will nominate you for a persistence award! :)

Ron

Yeah - I'm persistent, but I'm also in a different time zone. I continually checked it until I went to bed too. Apparently, they were doing a server update/upgrade along with a name migration away from godaddy.com for their support of SOPA. Not good timing to do both at the same time (but this explains what I saw over time - DNS propagation and everything, the rest being the upgrade, I guess). Things are back to "normal" now, I guess - so I don't have to post over here on this PIC user forum anymore...

;)

Seriously though - I love both forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back