Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does Microchip Direct charge shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use PIC, but imagine so... Oh, do you mean to ask if the 'FREE' samples are truely free? Search Google for 'Microchip free samples' and see what hundreds of 'people' have to say about taking advantage of the evaluation program. If they haven't started charging something, most likely will soon, better hurry. Of course they could pass the burden onto the paying customers...

Just checked and my last order the shipping was $16.

When I order samples there is no fee whatsoever.

Mike.

I have been requesting free sample from microchip for months, but I haven't been charged even once.

They sure Do. They want £12.00 for shipping + £5.00 for handeling charge for a Pickit2 in the UK.

I purchased mine from Farnell inone. No shipping charge No handeling charge and got it next day delivery.

So if you are in the UK Farnell is the way to go.

HarveyH42 said:
I don't use PIC, but imagine so... Oh, do you mean to ask if the 'FREE' samples are truely free? Search Google for 'Microchip free samples' and see what hundreds of 'people' have to say about taking advantage of the evaluation program. If they haven't started charging something, most likely will soon, better hurry. Of course they could pass the burden onto the paying customers...

Who sad anything about samples?

Im talking about buying from their Direct site not stealing from their Samples site! I want to support Microchip directly instead of buying from eBay scum

In my opinion it wouldnt be the hobbyists who use the sample site that are ruining it.

Its the theives who get the samples and then sell them for ridiculous prices over eBay.

Ok, so the verdict is they do charge?

My shopping cart says $20US for (5) 628a (5) 675 and (2) 877a

I knew it was too good to be true!

Just wanted to check before I send payment.

Thanks for the answers

At Newark the same shopping list comes to $23.58. It is a few dollars more but you can get other parts in for the one shipping charge. When I order I get charge some sales tax but I guess that depends on where you live.

That is for IP parts.

Sorry Peter, have you asked Microchip about?

I would start from there.

I think you can only order 1 free 4 peice sample at a time, but they messed up and sent me 2 free samples of the same thing! awesome, but cant program it...

:(

HarveyH42 said:

Please remove your post (nice part) because you do not have the slighted damn clue to what you all talking about.

donniedj said:
Please remove your post (nice part) because you do not have the slighted damn clue to what you all talking about.

The origional post didn't specify if the shipping question was related to a purchase or free samples. Most of the posts that followed, confirmed that they do charge shipping, except for free samples. Not entirely clueless on buying parts.

The free sample issue...? Did you Google? Guess not. We discussed this topic before on this forum, and have seen in other places. There is an Instructiable on how to get free parts. Yeah, I'm clueless, as I have never requested free samples, nor even been tempted. I understand the concept, and respect the companies that offer them.

Remove my comment, don't have a slighted clue how, maybe a moderator will if he thinks it overly offensive or inappropriate. If Peter had been overly offended and asked, I'd put the effort into figuring it out.

Not aimed at anyone, just wanted to say,

I really wish that people would use the free sample facility as it's intended. These people that abuse it can maybe make a couple of hundred dollars a year (but I doubt it). While that maybe tempting to a school kid it really doesn't help with the family budget. I just checked and I am currently able to make 2 sample orders because I haven't used it for so long.

Other companies have started to charge silly postage to effectively nullify their free sample service, let's not force Microchip to follow suit.

BTW, you guys in the USA have got it sweet. Here, we pay around 5(+) times the microchip direct price at retail.:eek: Not that I use retail. Check out the price of a **broken link removed** - Yes, that does say AU$40 (US$32) around $5 from MC.

Mike.

I've made this point before: it's there own fault that the sample system is abused. They should just get rid of the minimum order reqquirements and start selling small quantities. Most companies don't mind buying small quantities of a product just to test it out, it's part of their research and development costs.

Small orders are usually left to distributors. Really kind of depends on the size of the manufacturer. It takes more floor space and staff to handle a lot of small orders. Large minimum quanties limits the number of orders, but moves the same amount of product.
I work in a distribution warehouse, we have three special needs customers, which require 11 additional employees to handle and package their orders as they request. I don't know if they have to do anything different in the office. At around $32,000 + cost of benefits X 11 employees, that a bit of profits, and doesn't take into account transportation and shipping. We have a huge crowded warehouse and sell to retailers, couldn't imagine the the mess if we opened up the doors and started selling retail quantities to anybody who phoned in an order. Manufacturing, wholesale, and retail are all very different links in the chain.

Hero999 said:
I've made this point before: it's there own fault that the sample system is abused. They should just get rid of the minimum order reqquirements and start selling small quantities. Most companies don't mind buying small quantities of a product just to test it out, it's part of their research and development costs.

I just tried ordering a single 16F88 for $2.60 and got all the way to entering payment details with no mention of a minimum. Do you have any details of what the minimum is?

Mike.

Hero999 said:

Erm, u seem the miss the reason for sampling. Although some places have started to introduce educational / industry only samples thanks to some people taking advantage of the system (making money) the reason they give millions of free samples every year (even to hobbyists) is because a small number of projects they are used in will become a product. And hey presto, microchip have an order for thousands of $$'s.

And look at it this way, if you were to buy two chips from microchip direct they have to work out and pay tax, credit card fee's, supply certain levels of support, make deliveries at the correct time etc. etc. Im willing to bet that for small order microchip makes a loss, probably not as big a loss as with giving away samples, but very close!

Personally I always fill in the what its for box correctly, even when its "Personal Project: Micromouse Robot Development", on occasion they have phoned to ask how its going, we have a pleasant conversation about the project, and they never said "Dont do it again"!

pittuck said:
Erm, u seem the miss the reason for sampling. Although some places have started to introduce educational / industry only samples thanks to some people taking advantage of the system (making money) the reason they give millions of free samples every year (even to hobbyists) is because a small number of projects they are used in will become a product. And hey presto, microchip have an order for thousands of $$'s.

And look at it this way, if you were to buy two chips from microchip direct they have to work out and pay tax, credit card fee's, supply certain levels of support, make deliveries at the correct time etc. etc. Im willing to bet that for small order microchip makes a loss, probably not as big a loss as with giving away samples, but very close!

Personally I always fill in the what its for box correctly, even when its "Personal Project: Micromouse Robot Development", on occasion they have phoned to ask how its going, we have a pleasant conversation about the project, and they never said "Dont do it again"!

Great post thanks!

I got my free samples today! It glitched and sent me 2 different orders!

2x 16F877A
1x 16F876A
5x 16F628A

Pommie said:
I just tried ordering a single 16F88 for $2.60 and got all the way to entering payment details with no mention of a minimum. Do you have any details of what the minimum is?

Mike.

As far as I know they may charge you $25 handling fee if your order is too small.

For most of the microchip parts I use I always order directly from them, it seems they have a good deal with fedex, their shipping charges are quite reasonable.

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back