Does nickel-zinc battery is currently the best rechargeable batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCBWING

Is nickel-zinc battery currently the best rechargeable batteries?

I see people discussing the rechargeable battery, I am intending to buy some for the camera backup external power supply, so the time can be extended to enough. Now the best option is nickel-zinc battery yet? Please advise!

Last edited:
When i said "Does it is good ?" I remember my English teacher about to go crazy with anger.

I never heard about nickle-zinc batteries until I looked in Google a few minutes ago. They look good.
I used Ni-Cad cells many years ago and now I use Ni-MH cells, Lithium-Ion cells and Lithium-Polymer cells.

A long time ago I used alkaline batteries. I always think that lithium is the best rechargeable batteries. The only drawback is its small number of charge cycles.

Last edited:
Hi,

Li-ion is pretty good. Decent number of charge cycles too.

Hi,

Li-ion is pretty good. Decent number of charge cycles too.

Li-ion are used in Lappies/Notebooks. Lot's of power in a small package.

Would be a good choice...but...they need very careful charging methods as used in Lappies/Notebooks. They cannot handle "normal" charging techniques used for other Rechargeable batteries.

So much power in a small package needs to be carefully controlled when charging.

Last edited:
I killed a Lithium-Polymer battery in my new electric RC model airplane (a Piper Cub) by discharging it too low. The store owner replaced it and I bought another one.
When new the battery produced a flight time of 15 minutes but now only 10 seconds. The airplane is supposed to warn me that the battery is low by reducing the power to the motor. But I fly it slowly at low power barely above the ground and I am not warned when the battery power is low. If I fly at full power all the time then the low voltage causes the motor to stop.

I use full power to fly away from birds that want to mate with my airplane!

Attachments

• Piper Cub.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 230

Hello there,

Actually though when you compare NiMH charging to Li-ion it becomes apparent that the charge algorithm and/or circuit is simpler for Li-ion than for NiMH. NiMH is harder to charge basically, requiring careful incremental measurements. For Li-ion only the voltage measurement has to be accurate, and not even that if we allow for a decent margin of error.

Compare the two charging methods and see what you find out.

I've been doing this for almost 10 years now without a single problem so i tend to recommend Li-ion cell, at least when charged one at a time.
I never recommend charging in series or parallel however, but lots of people do this too.

Last edited:

You see, that's what I don't know. All I know is charging is "difficult" at the best of times.

Looking at my spelling of "difficult"......sheez, I need a holiday.

I see from the batteries packaging , NiMH charge cycles can reach 1100 ; Li-ion seems to only 400.

I see from the batteries packaging , NiMH charge cycles can reach 1100 ; Li-ion seems to only 400.
Don't believe the lies from the sales guys. That is when conditions are perfect which rarely occurs.

I use rechargeable cells in my solar garden lights and in my RC model airplanes. I never counted how many hundreds of charge-discharge cycles the Ni-MH, Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries have survived. Whenever they fail then I simply replace them.

One guy at the park times each flight and replaces his battery (when I am still flying my airplane which is the same as his) after only 5 minutes. But I strain my battery cells by flying 3 times longer than him. I think I have 3 times more enjoyment than him. But I buy 3 times more inexpensive batteries than him.

I have two small model airplanes. One wing, another is helicopter, they both are using alkaline batteries [one is 10 cells;another is 8 cells] to do a few minutes short charge.

Hi again,

Don't get me wrong though, NiZn looks promising, especially the higher characteristic cell voltage which is what many people have been waiting for.
The self discharge isnt as good as the better low self discharge NiMH or as Li-ion, but it's a tradeoff that may still be welcome anyway.
I am thinking of picking up a set to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…