Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does this IGBT have a negative or positive temp coefficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good question. Different sources on the web tells different.

Last edited:
Look closely at the output characterics graph for IC vs VGE. It has curves for tj=25 degrees C and tj=125 degrees C. Looks slightly positive to me.

Last edited:
Look closely at the output characterics graph for IC vs VGE. It has curves for tj=25 degrees C and tj=125 degrees C. Looks slightly positive to me.
Ok, looking at that graph, what I see is that the hotter it gets, the less voltage it takes at the gate to get the same amps out, which to me says negative temp coefficient. I'm not sure my logic is right though. I thought the temperatur coefficient had to do with the resistance between collector and emitter and temperature. negative temp coefficient would mean that as it gets hotter, the resistance goes down, which makes it hotter, so resistance goes down further, etc. thermal runaway. can we associate VGE with RCE?

The hotter it gets, the more output current for the same gate voltage. Read the graph vertically. A positive current/temperature coefficient means more current over temperature.

We generally talk about transconductance of a transistor, rather than resistance between the collector and emitter, since transconductance is an active parameter.

Last edited:
what I see is that the hotter it gets, the less voltage it takes at the gate to get the same amps out

The hotter it gets, the more output current for the same gate voltage. Read the graph vertically.
I think we are saying the same thing in a different way. 6 of one, half dozen of another.

A positive current/temperature coefficient means more current over temperature.

We generally talk about transconductance of a transistor, rather than resistance between the collector and emitter, since transconductance is an active parameter.
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with IGBTs. I have spent the last week researching MOSFETS where they always specify Rdson, so that is how I was thinking of the junction between Collector & emitter of IGBT. So I'm (a little dense) still not sure whether you are saying this IGBT is prone to thermal runaway or not.

I think we are saying the same thing in a different way.

Yes. But if you think of it as an increase in output current rather than a decrease in gate voltage, then the positive relationship between temp and current is easier to see.

still not sure whether you are saying this IGBT is prone to thermal runaway or not.

It is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back