doing RF project, this SHOULD be very simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

robvickers

I'm working on a project, and part of it relies on rf transmitters and receivers. Since i dont really know anything about them, i want to know if what im doing is even possible. Basically, there will be multiple transmitters passing by a reciever (call this a group). they may be seconds apart, maybe fractions of a second. each transmitter will be sending a 40digit number thats specific to that transmitter. i want the reciever to "hear" the number, and i guess amplify it and send it a longer distance (dont know what range can be, long range transmitters just say "long range") to a different reciever that acts like a hub for other groups. the hub will be recieving these sequences constantly, many times per second. can a reciever handle that? wont the numbers get jumbled? any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is the ONLY part i dont know how to do.

thankyou

The receiver can handle it so long as they aren't transmitting on TOP of each other. Time-division multiplexing is the normal way this problem is dealt with.

thankyou, im looking into that right now. also, any ideas on a device that would work as a receiver and upload the sequences to a database?

statistical multiplexing seems to be more of what i want, since the reciever doesnt know how sequences it will get. i guess each sequence would be a packet?

You usually transmit packets, you need some kind of token or header to identify what's what. If it's just unique 40 digit numbers, that's only a couple dozen bytes, so you figure out the time to transmit one packet, then look at the worst case with the maximum number of transmitters moving through the reception zone at the highest speed.

As for devices, you might want to look at Bluetooth. They have built-in hardware for dealing with packet collision, multiple channels, there are many receivers and transmitters available.

thanks for all of your help. im going to use long range RF transmitters and the sequences are received by a WAP. should work wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…