Dr WHO _ Daaleks

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbansal

Hi,
I am looking to build a scale model of a daalek, which makes the sound"Exterminate! Exterminate" as it it moves about following a light source. I would like it to avoid obstacles, or bump and reverse before continuing on its journey.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks in advance, I lookforward to receiving many replies.
M Bansal

Didn't say much about how much electronics experience you have, whether you arel looking for a quick/cheap/simple solution, or built from individual components.

Dr. Who has been around a long time, might already be a similar product that you could improve, search E-Bay/UK.

Should be plenty of Dr. Who models in stores, have seen some in America, so the UK must be floaded with them. Good source for your robot base. Something you need to consider before getting to the mechanical portion of the robot, which will need to fit inside, and be powerful enough to move it around. If there is a large assortment of sizes and styles, you might be able to find a robot kit that fits in nicely.

The voice, plenty of choices and sources for record/playback chips. Not very expensive or complicated. Never used them, but heard there are several talking toys and keychains that can be taken apart and reused.

Just a few ideas on how I'd go about building this, use a search engine to locate what you need.

Wow. What a coincidence. I just saw Dr. Who for the first time yesterday! It was kinda neat. A bit odd, but neat.

Anyways, i was thinking the same thing... What about something like this?
**broken link removed**

Thanks very much, it looks spot on. However, I would like to make it from scratch using components rather than buying a ready made kit, its more fun, I hope!
Kind regards.
M Bansal

Dr. Who Daaleks

Thank you for such a quick reply to my query. I am starting out in this fiel and want to gain practical experience building simple products for the sheer enjoyment and what better place to seek guidance than this website!

I would like to build it from components, perhaps make use of a PIC chip, but I don't want to use a remote handset. It needs to simulate artificial intelligence in going around obstacles in its path, without bumping into them if possible.

I hope this clarifies as to what I am trying to do.
M Bansal

Marks256 said:
Wow. What a coincidence. I just saw Dr. Who for the first time yesterday! It was kinda neat. A bit odd, but neat.

The youth of today! - only just noticed a series that started in the 1960's

Dr Who Daalek

Hi,
Can you suggest any circuits I could try out in the first instance? I will probably use a solenoid for the arm movement, sound chip for the machine gun noise and record/playback chip (any sources?). The main thrust of this project is to use a PIC chip and learn simple programming.
M Bansal

This is a semi-advanced level project, it's going to take a while. Can't help you with the PIC, but our moderator Nigel is a master of them, and has a website with great tutorials, excellent place to start. I just start with AVR micros a few months ago, won't get that started here... But you should look through Nigel's site just to get some idea what you are getting into. I don't use PIC, but got some useful information there anyway. There are many sites with PIC based robot projects, should search for some, maybe build one.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The youth of today! - only just noticed a series that started in the 1960's

Better late than never...

Actually, i have only seen the new version. I didn't stay up late enough to see the old(original) ones. I will next week when it is on, or record it...

Marks256 said:
Better late than never...

Actually, i have only seen the new version. I didn't stay up late enough to see the old(original) ones. I will next week when it is on, or record it...

The original ones (both series and films) weren't even in colour!

Nigel Goodwin said:
The original ones (both series and films) weren't even in colour!

So? A show doesn't need to be in colo(u)r to be good. Just look at the movie Pi! It was made in 1998, in black and white, but a very good movie(well, more odd than good, but still good... ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…