Dremel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

I never really found this information but i thought others might look for it.

I took a picture of a small DREMEL bit kit. This kit comes with 7 bits sizes are:
1/32" EDIT: 1/32 = 0.79375 mm (.8mm)
3/64"
1/16"
5/64"
3/32"
7/64"
1/8"

I would recommend 1/32 for actual PCB pin/part holes. Its actually smaller than Premade PCBs like from radioshack and other places. The 1/8 is good for screw/mount holes. and other sizes can be used for various things.

Heres the picture:
**broken link removed**

For PCB work I would suggest getting some resharpened 3.2mm shaft diameter tungsten carbide bits as they will last a lot longer than the Dremel bits.

I paid around £15 for a box of 50 assorted bits.

As a hobbyist i shop local and have never seen those bits. I just went online to search for them and found most of those are indeed Dremel bits.

Code:
Dremel 9901 Tungsten Carbide Cutter
Use for shaping, smoothing and material removal.

Use on hardened steel, stainless steeel, cast iron,
nonferrous metals, fired ceramics, plastics, hardwoods and other 
hard materials.

shank size: 3.2mm
working diameter: 3.2mm

Seems like it would indeed be good for PCB work tho. i wouldn't mind buying some if i find them around. Next time im out shopping ill try to see if i can find some.

If you use carbide bits, you will probably need a drill press. HSS takes bending well, but carbide will snap. That said, carbide is way best on fiberglass PCB. For the yellow/orange phenolic PCB, you can get by with HSS. John

Hero999 said:
3.2mm is a bit to big for most applications, I normally use a 1mm bit.
Hence why I said shaft diameter

My bits range from 0.1mm up to 6mm with a 3.2mm shaft (shank)

A 3.2mm drill bit would be far too big for most peoples PCB applications

jpanhalt said:
If you use carbide bits, you will probably need a drill press.

You will definitely need a drill press (or Dremel press) with TC bits - even dropping them on the table snaps them sometimes but for drilling they are incredibly robust.

Here you go - this is what I use and I can thoroughly recommend them but you need to use a proper Dremel press with them.

**broken link removed**

picbits said:
Here you go - this is what I use and I can thoroughly recommend them but you need to use a proper Dremel press with them.

**broken link removed**

Thanks for that! I have been using the same thing, but have been buying at a tool liquidators, and they have run out.

For what you get for your money (50 bits for $18) its worth buying a few boxes. It will keep the average hobbyist going for a few years. I've seen the individual bits being sold for $5+ each so its well worth the money

**broken link removed**

$4.50 for 4 so that makes about

16 - 1/32 for $18 the difference here is you get all 1/32 and not other sizes you might not use. I would still buy the 50 for $18 as picbits says but its also nice to buy multiple of the same bit without have others you might not use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…