Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving a piezo with pwm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
I want to drive a piezo (9khz resonant) with a pwm pin in a 16f882.

I plan to use it for alarms and for button press beeps/chirps.

So far, It seems I have to set up prescale/Tmr2/PR2 registers to dictate the frequency of the PWM.

I am not sure what the necessary PW is though. would 50% work? Also, How do I switch on and off the PWM signal, by TRIS?

Lastly, are there elegant ways to map a couple bits from one register to another?

If I want to map bits 2,3 in a register to bits 6,7 in another register, there should be a simple elegant way to do this without btfss/bsf/bcf structures? Some combination of logical operations & bitmasking?

I believe that setting and clearing T2CON,TMR2ON will start and stop the PWM. I would start with 50% and use trial and error to find the ideal value.

For mapping bits you could use rlf etc. but for two bits it's quicker to use bsf etc.

Mike.

I am still learning asm, but wouldn't it be possible to load W with the first register, then use swapf, then copy it back it the second register.

Something like this then?
Code:
;
;  copy source[b3:b2] to target[b7:b6]
;
        movlw   b'00111111'     ;
        andwf   target,F        ; clear target b7:b6
        swapf   source,W        ;
        andlw   b'11000000'     ;
        iorwf   target,F        ;

Last edited:
Status