Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DS1339 trickle charging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integrate

Hello. I would like to use the RTC ds1339, and I would like to take advantage of its trickle charging capability. The datasheet for it is here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/07/DS1339-DS1339U.pdf

However, I am a little confused about how it works. My first question is that on page 15, it says that there needs to be a diode and resistor in series connecting vcc to vbat. I am unsure if I am supposed to supply these components, or if they are already included in the device and that I just need to set the registers to select their use. The diagram in figure 5 makes it look like that these components are already included.

My second question is just one to make sure I don't end up smelling magic smoke. Am I correct that this device can charge a li-ion battery like this:
SparkFun Electronics - Polymer Lithium Ion Battery - 110mAh
The li-ion battery probably needs to be charged at 4.1V or something. There are more than one version of the ds1309, one for 5V, one for 3.3V, and one for 2V. I would like to use all of them in separate circuits for different applications, and I am wondering if this chip handles all the step ups and downs itself. In the datasheet, it mentions that it can do li-ion, but I would like to make sure.

Thank you for your time!

hi,
The R and D are internal. you must select using the program, the correct charge current setting for the 3.7 110mA battery.
You must use the Vbat to suit the IC, look at these clips.

Attachments

• AAesp06.gif
    AAesp06.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 221
  • AAesp07.gif
    AAesp07.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 223
Thanks for the help. I guess I got confused, thinking Lithium button cells were the same as li-ion. I was thinking how to get 3.7V down to 3V for Vbat, lol. I guess I will switch to a 3V rechargeable lithium button cell. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back