Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual LED MB setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

salutka

Hi,

I have been searching for over a year now on how to get a dual color led to work with my motherboard. Ok, the motherboard has a constant negative and uses the positive pins to turn the power and HDD leds on/off. Now, the dual color led has a common positive and uses 2 negatives to operate both colors. I was thinking of a PNP transistor but at this point any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You would want an NPN transistor to drive each LED, as you are sinking current not sourcing it.

Or you could use an inverter such as a 74HC04.

Either way you need a 5 V source and current limiting resistors to feed the LED

Thanks for the reply, I made a diagram of my setup, (yeah, I used paint brush lol) and I think I want to try the NPN transistor, now i'm very visual so if you can modify my diagram I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• led.PNG
    led.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 178
That looks really sweet DMW, definitely a cool case mod. But I only have room for one single LED in my project. But I would love to make one some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back