Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual Power Supply without centre tapping..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajagopal87

Here is my problem:
I need 36 volt dual power supply (+36, -36, GND) for my newly constructed audio amplifier to work. I am already having the following transformers. Is there any way to build the power supply without buying a new transformer?

0-32 volt 4 Amp max. ----no center tapping.
12-0-12 5 Amp max ----with centre tapping
12-0-12 5 Amp max ----with centre tapping

If there was a center tapping I guess my job would go very easy. But without the center tapping I fear that I can make only ~ +/- 16 v power supplies. Is there any other way?

How To Connect....

Can you please explain how to connect them?

I am sure it is not parallel connection ( as we will end up with 12v again ).
Of the three leads in the secondary of each transformer only the centre tap could be distinguished. The remaining two are identical. I guess that the voltages in the two leads are 180 degree out of phase(am I right?) How to obtain 24-0-24 from the six leads? How should I distinguish the leads of same phase and opposite phase? Will it matter when connecting them?

Rajagopal87 said:
Can you please explain how to connect them?

I am sure it is not parallel connection ( as we will end up with 12v again ).
Of the three leads in the secondary of each transformer only the centre tap could be distinguished. The remaining two are identical. I guess that the voltages in the two leads are 180 degree out of phase(am I right?) How to obtain 24-0-24 from the six leads? How should I distinguish the leads of same phase and opposite phase? Will it matter when connecting them?
Call the leads 1, 2 & 3 on transformer A and 4, 5 & 6 on transformer B where 2 and 5 are the centre taps.

Join 3 & 4 and measure the voltage between 1 & 6. If you have (by chance) chosen the right combination, then the voltage will be 48 Volt or greater. If you only read a small voltage, then join 3 to 6 and measure between 1 & 4.

Regarding your question re "voltages in the two leads are 180 degree out of phase(am I right?)" the answer is yes. If you use say lead 2 as the common, then the phase difference between voltage at 1 and 3 is 180 degrees. That is why you there is 24 Volt between 1 & 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back