dual rail from a 3 wire transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bridge rectifier wired as two full wave rectifiers with two smoothing caps will give about +17/-17V DC, it's a perfectly standard circuit.

Hi Everyone

How can I get a dual rail supply from a transformer like this?View attachment 60151

The output DC voltage has to be higher than 14 volts.

Thanks.

Straight forwards...secondary tap is ac +/- 12 volts with a 0 volt rail (this will be your earth/o voltage..... so moving on, select a dioderectifier unit and a pair of capacitors say 2000uf at 35vdc next wire the caps for dual supply like so.. each 12v ac tap is linked to bridgeunit ac input and the following connections will be + dc /-dc these are fed to the filter caps... look at any dual rail supply circuit on line and your see how the caps connections are wired together as a zero volt common. the above psu would give a unloaded supply of just over 15+/- volts.

Configure the transformer per the attached and chop the circuit off prior to the regulators. Just a cartoon of what everyone has said.

Ron

Attachments

• 12 Volt Dual Supply.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 183
Having never made a dual rail PS, my first thought was that one would need two bridge rectifiers. I learned something new, and on a Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…