DVD Region Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be interesting to see a movie from a different country. I mean it would be kinda cool to see what the plots are focusing on in other areas of the world. The US mainly focuses on sex and drugs...

My favourite movie is "The Atomic Train". The ending is a bit cheesy, though... If any of you havn't seen it, i would recommend watching it, if you like action movies...

Or Does America make far more movies then other countrys? How about Canada, Australia and New Zealand?
The North American continent is all one region code so here in Canada we see alot of DVD movies from the USA.... TV is another matter with the Canadian content rules that enforce a certain percentage of air time for domestic programming unless you have high tier cable or satellite.

You could just buy the movie, then rip it in with DVD decrypter, and make the disc region free. You could use DVD shrink to ...well... shrink it down to size for a regular DVD-or + r. Since the software is freeware and you will own the movie it will be considered an archival copy and legal. (I'm not a lawyer, so read up on it)

Last edited:

That sounds like the French paranoia again?, in France they even have to play a certain perentage of records in French on the radio - must be a ***** during the chart shows!

Nigel Goodwin said:
in France they even have to play a certain perentage of records in French on the radio - must be a ***** during the chart shows!
Same here with radio, though it is not as bad as it used to be. There are now more decent Canadian bands than before, so maybe it does work to some extent. It doesn't really effect the top 40 chart shows because the quota is based on a one week interval of air time.
For TV, you still have have to wait 3-6 months or so for a popular US TV show such as SouthPark to be aired in Canada.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Load of rubbish - it's to prevent us buying cheap DVD's from the USA, they would rather rip us off with higher prices and later releases!.
That's a load of rubbish. I just visited a DVD website that stated China & other eastern nations sell the lowest priced DVDs in contrast to Americans paying the highest amount in their nation. We are getting hosed. Scroll to the top of this page -- it should read:
China DVD - Low Cost
Quality, reproductions of original Hollywood releases, offered at instantly affordable prices.

Last edited:
Comparing the prices for proper official DVD's and pirated copies is hardly the same thing - it's easy to sell DVD's cheaply when you don't have to pay for them in the first place!.

In all seriousness, those Chinese sold DVDs are supposedly legal copies and are selling for much less than the same thing in the USA. Even in Europe, the discs are cheaper than here. If we buy a new DVD for $5 US it's some obscure movie title or a hit movie from 20 years ago now dubbed to disc.

I've just been trying to compare the prices on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, it's really hard to find DVD's that sound identical - makes it very hard to try and compare prices!.

I will just stick with renting DVDs.... (this may or may not have something to do with DVD ripping...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…