Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVD/VCR combo error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I just received a Sanyo DVW-6000. It worked perfectly up until today when it started saying "Err", or "Eject" on the LED display.

1) It has full power.
2) Tries to turn on, and has success, but after about 7 seconds, it shuts off, and says "Err" again.
3) Thinks that there is a VHS in the VCR, but there really isn't(see below)

What happened was, my "sister" was watching a video, and decided to watch a different one, so she simply pressed "stop", and then "eject", but then it shut off, and said "Err". I got the video out(took it apart), and then now it is mine(the VCR/DVD player, not the video, the video got wrecked in the process[poor Bugs Bunny...])

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? I looked for firmware updates, and people who had the same error, but this model seems to be non-existent from the web...

Thanks.

Never seen a Sanyo one, but the Sony (made by Samsung) ones commonly have power supply problems - faulty electrolytics in the secondary of the power supply. It's usually a 2200uf 10V electrolytic, and they go low ESR - if you've got a scope check for ripple on the electrolytics.

I dont have a scope, but i will see what else i can do. Any alternative to a scope(beside spending a fortune to get one...)

Any alternative to a scope
You can use a AC voltmeter if it is a good one and you are testing a non-switching type power supply. Cheap ones can get fooled by the DC component and give you a rediculous reading (You can test it by putting the meter on AC and measuring a 9V battery for 0Vac of ripple :D)

don't take me seriously..but i cannot help but wonder if u have any serious problem with electronic devices......!!!

You can use a AC voltmeter if it is a good one and you are testing a non-switching type power supply. Cheap ones can get fooled by the DC component and give you a rediculous reading (You can test it by putting the meter on AC and measuring a 9V battery for 0Vac of ripple )

I dont even have a voltmeter anymore. Mine blew out in a horrific transformer accident... I do plan on getting one within the next week or two.

don't take me seriously..but i cannot help but wonder if u have any serious problem with electronic devices......!!!

Because this is a nice forum, and i do not want to get banned, i will just pretend that you NEVER said that...

Marks256 said:
I dont even have a voltmeter anymore. Mine blew out in a horrific transformer accident... I do plan on getting one within the next week or two.

:eek: I've heard some nasty stories over the years about that. Good thing it was just your meter that got fried. And atleast you can get one cheap nowadays too.

Yeah, Radio Shack should put a warning on their learning labs; "WARNING! DO NOT USE INDUSTRIAL EQUIPTMENT ON THIS LEARNING LAB!"

He he, it was pretty fun. Let us just say that that was the day i figured out what the difference between AC and DC is... :D

Marks256 said:
I dont have a scope, but i will see what else i can do. Any alternative to a scope(beside spending a fortune to get one...)
Yes, spend a "small" fortune" instead on a quality, used scope! eBay is chocked full of them. A couple hundred dollars can get you a decent but older Tektronix.

Ebay sure is full of them. I wonder how hard it is on them to bounce around in shipping though? I'd like to get one when I get a little extra money after the holidays.

I would love to get an oscilloscope. I would also like to get a logic analyser and a function generator. The problem is i don't have the money. :( Oh well. I am getting a multimeter pretty soon! YAY!

any item shipped through the mail should arrive safely provided the shipper packaged it properly. On eBay you can email the seller and discuss such topic in detail prior to it being shipped. PayPal and the like can hold their payment in escrow from you until you have received it and are satisfied with the item.

Try the mode switch as you have no doubt put the cassette mech and deck mech out of sync. The origional fault was probably just a dirty mode switch.

Since the video was destroyed in the removal process, posably bent something (arm on a switch). Maybe there is a piece of video still stuck in the works.

No. The error occurred before we took the video out. Something happend during the eject cycle. All of the sensors are in good working order as far as i can tell.

Check for foreign parts inside. If you have kids they sometimes can put something inside which may cause an intermittend fault.

Also check if any plastic leavers may have cracked or broken.

Possible dust on one of the opto sensors ?

Mode Switch

Once again I sugest the mode switch as you state that the fault occured before you destroyed the video. This switch is situated on the tape deck and its purpose is to let the electronics know what position the tape deck is in. E.g. It will not allow you to eject a tape if the electronics "thinks" that the tape is in motion or loaded or half loaded etc.

Meh, i doesn't matter. I am going to desolder the components anyways. That way it is worth more to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back