Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dynamo battery charger to power LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

elect89

hi im new here,

i wanna build a dynamo battery charger that can power rear and front LED and possibly power other things like charging hp, i pod etc. i was thinking of using 6v3w bottle dynamo and 6v2.3Ah seal leaded acid battery (or maybe anyone can suggest other kind that are more suitable).

if possible can anyone give me the circuit diagram and explain the process if would be helpful.
im not that good with electric, but i know some basic.

thank you

So long as your not going to be riding for more than an hour or so you could just connect say a 5 amp bridge rectifier from the o/p of the dynamo straight to the battery, a bottle dynamo will produce an amp at best not so bad for a 2.3a/h battery, though it'd last longer if you discharged the battery a little between rides.

im gonna use the bicycle daily, is it still ok? and then if possible i want when im paddling the dynamo will power the LED and charge the battery, when the battery is full it wont charge it. When the bicycle at stationary the LED will be power by the battery, and at the same time i can charge my i phone or my i pod.

Yep.

If you were to ride the bike many times without using power from the battery then theres a possibility that the battery would overcharge without a charge regulator as the battery will be charged all the time, even when its full, but if your using power for lights and ipod etc then its not going to get full for long.
If you were to go on a long run without using power you could just pull the plug on the dynamo, or put a switch inline.
The other way is to build a charge regulator, thats going to involve some reasonably complicated circuitry (depending on your skill level), however it probably isnt necessary.
On the first couple of runs check to see if the dynamo gets warm, they usually self regulate so shouldnt do.

Hello,

For a 2 ampere hour lead acid battery to fully charge with a 500ma generator charger you'd have to ride the bike for some 6 hours.

When the bosses clear off I'll see if I can do a naff hand drawn one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back