Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle (CADsoft) - Copying a Symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Thanks to speakerguy79 for answering my previous question.

I have created a symbol / package / device for a single digit led display, as below.

**broken link removed**

Now I want to create a dual digit by copying the single device and editing it into a dual. What is the procedure? I've tried but can't cut and paste anything successfully and am not able to save the single device by another name - there is only the option to rename the library. Somehow I managed, yesterday, to copy over the bevelled digit segments from an existing device to my new device although I can't remember how!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

The problem is a little vague, particularly at the point of "tried cut and paste." In Eagle, you actually cut and paste, not copy and paste.

1) Set up new (blank) screens for the new part. Eventually, you will need 3: symbol, package, and device. I generally set them all up at once; then, move to cut and paste. (That assumes the package is not a standard package.)
2) On the existing part, highlight the area, select the cut (scissor) tool, and right click to "cut."
3) Then go back to the blank screen and paste X2.

John

Edit: You are in edit library mode, right?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for a prompt reply.

What does 'library edit mode' mean? That's just the library window where you do the drawing? As below:

**broken link removed**

When I try to paste I get this message: 'Warning - skipped unsuitable objects' and nothing pastes.

Thanks.

What I meant by Library edit is when in Control Panel, you select library instead of schematic or board. It allows you to open libraries and edit or create new devices.

From what are you trying to cut? You must be in "package" to cut a package. You cannot do that in "device" or from a schematic.

Maybe if you gave a step-by-step of what you are doing that doesn't work, we can be of more help.

John

Edit: Actually I have never tried to copy a symbol from the "device" screen. If all pins were disconnected, it might be possible. But, why even try to do it that way?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks jpanhalt. I shut down Eagle, restarted and now I can cut and paste without that error msg(?!).

Thanks very much for your assistance :)

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back