Earthquake detector modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyarcher

**broken link removed**

I have made an earthquake detector as shown above. My college principal has asked me to modify this circuit to output the vibration in digital form. Can anyone help me out with the required modifications on this circuit to get an output which indicate the amount of input vibration given?

Thanks in advance!

hi,
Which component of the signal do want digitised.? freq or amplitude.?

Its already 'squared' up.?

Well, actually the 2N7000 is pretty soft with 5V applied from the output of a low pass filter. Square it up with a comparator. I would replace the 2N7000 directly with a comparator. I leave it to you to choose a switching point and hysteresis amount.

Would he want it squared up? I would take the output of that first amp and digitize it there. 0-5V signal, low frequency, get good resolution off a 10bit, 30khz pic A/D convertor, process it, and send it over a USB.

I think you want to have both amplitude and frequency information. The frequency info gives you S wave and P wave data, amplitude gives relative magnitude.

I agree with duffy here. Use an A/D after your analog section.

Last edited:
I think you want to have both amplitude and frequency information. The frequency info gives you S wave and P wave data, amplitude gives relative magnitude.

I agree with duffy here. Use an A/D after your analog section.

hi Mike,
I would agree, there are many components to a siesmic tremor waveform.

Its looks as though this OP is going to be one post wonder.

hi Mike,
I would agree, there are many components to a siesmic tremor waveform.

Its looks as though this OP is going to be one post wonder.

I suspect you are correct. At any rate someone else may have a similar question.

Side note. I have a few geophones, and they are pretty cool. You can almost detect an ant farting. They are real sensitive. Freq response is really low, but they can detect a footstep. I tried to rig a footstep detector with one thinking it would make a good burglar alarm, but problem was there were too many false triggers (Car driving by and such).

Living in Ca, I have a geophone mounted on the side of my building and have it strung up to my desktop where it inputs to my DAQ card. Never really use it though as it was burning a hole in my HDD

Cool device though. They can be had at surplus stores or ebay.

Last edited:
hi,
Anyone who can come up with earthquake warning system will get rich.

Ugh. eBay used to sell geophone kits. Now if you type "geophone" into the search bar, it automatically assumes you are searching for some idiotic prepaid calling cards and translates it into "go phone". &%#@!!!!

Ugh. eBay used to sell geophone kits. Now if you type "geophone" into the search bar, it automatically assumes you are searching for some idiotic prepaid calling cards and translates it into "go phone". &%#@!!!!

hehe! that's what happens when intelligence is given to something that shouldn't have it! who want's smart computers? i don't! i only want it to do EXACTLY what i tell it to do and not that it assumes what i want!

This thread is over 2 years old. The original poster who began the thread had only one single post. I would suggest a new thread and outline what you want to do and outline your project.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…