easiest way to get +-12 volts from a car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death By Bass

not sure how much current I need, probably 1 amp each should do it.

I know national semiconductors do a regulator, that with a switchmode transformer will give +-12 volts, but these parts aren't easy to come by...

I'll measure how much current I actually need at -12volts, it may not be that much.

also, +-11 volts seems to be enough anyway, as thats what the powersupply I'm looking to replace gives anyway.

cheers!

edit:

-12 volts @ 20mA is all I seem to need...

Last edited:
This might do the trick, I made it once and it does work (was powering an op-amp)

**broken link removed**

What are you building?

There might be a simpler way to convert your project so it will run of one single 12V supply.

Hero999 said:
What are you building?

There might be a simpler way to convert your project so it will run of one single 12V supply.

its a home DVD player, that has +5 +12 and -12 volt rails...

the +-12 seems to only be for the circuitry... the +5 volts controls everything else, like motors and the display.

You need a dc/dc converter module. Digikey and others sell them. You must also figure out the current requirements to size one.

Analog said:
You need a dc/dc converter module. Digikey and others sell them. You must also figure out the current requirements to size one.

like I said... +-12 volts at under 100mA...

*looks around the room*
*pulls some PCBs out from under my bed*

hmm...

+5volts in, +-15 volts out? close lol

Hero999 said:
Easy, add a LM7912 to the -15V supply.

be even easier to just buy a 10-15volt input, +-12volt output module...

rather than use the module I have, plus three regulators, and a handfull of capacitors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…