Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy beginner projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeysAteMe

I have just finished my first working circuit! It was a 9v battery connected to an LED with the right amount/ratio of resistance to not burn it out!

Now that I've taken this first big step are there any other simple projects I can create?

I've searched the web and all the projects I've found are very complicated or use logic chips(which I believe is beyond me at this point).

Do you guys know of any sources/schematics?

Thank you.

Do you want to just build the projects or also understand how they work? If you want to understand them, then review transistor operation before trying out the flasher circuit.

Just start to get familiar with the 555 timer IC which you are bound to want to use before long. Its not complicated and can do lots of useful things.

Try the flasher circuit HouseOfWax posted. That was the first circuit I ever built. It was 100% made of parts from an old tape deck. lol
Try building yours on solderless breadboard. If you don't have one, you will want one. Then you can change the resistors and capacitors to change the speed it flashes.

Then try the 555 timer flasher. Change the timing and duty cycle. If you play with it and read about how it works you will learn alot.

I definently want to understand them and I've been searching the internet alot and using a book I checked out from the library(something by Stan Gibilisco). I've gotten up to transistors and that is where it starts getting hazy.

Is there a good resource for learning how transistors work and how to use them?

Monkeysateme
I've been in your shoes and know what it's like, Infact I went thru a $10,000 college course to learn one little fact about electronics. The only thing I learned in college was .7V or more. This is the amount of voltage that is required to turn a transistor on. After I learned that this whole electronics thing became so much understandable. Once the transistor is on, it can do 2 things. 1, act as a switch in a logic circuit (by makeing the base junction equal to VCC or equal to ground,turns it on or off), or act as a current amplifier in an analog circuit, (a little current on the base, will allow a larger curent to flow thru the collector/emitter junction). Hope this quick little note helps you, and you never know, I may have saved you a $10,000 college course.

That iguana labs helped a bit but I still have some more questions.

Is the minimum voltage(i believe it is also called forward voltage drop?) .6v or .7v?

Is that the only voltage it takes or can I feed it more volts?

How do I know how much current I am outputting and what is the formula for input current to output?

What does the emitter do?

Are there other arrangements?

"The current flowing through the 2.2k ohm resistor is (10.6 - 0.2) / 2200 = 0.0047 A = 4.7 mA. "
--- Where did they get the 10.6 and why are they sutracting the 10.6 from the .2 when the 10.6 is from above the resistor and the .2 is from below?

Sorry about all the questions.

(1) The minimum voltage varies with temperature and current. It's usually between 0.6 and 0.7. Most circuits don't rely on the exact value.
(2) You can feed it current, but those voltages don't change much.
(3) The formula for input to output current is often a chart in the data sheet. Sometimes you have to guess based on (Out = In * Hfe).
(4) The emitter is the common terminal in the circuits shown. It has other functions in other circuits.
(5) There are other arrangements.
(6) 10.4 is the voltage across the resistor (difference between 10.6 and 0.2). This determines the current through it. The potential at any terminal isn't important; it's the difference that matters.

Last edited:
MonkeysAteMe said:
I have just finished my first working circuit! It was a 9v battery connected to an LED with the right amount/ratio of resistance to not burn it out!

Now that I've taken this first big step are there any other simple projects I can create?

I've searched the web and all the projects I've found are very complicated or use logic chips(which I believe is beyond me at this point).

Thank you.

if you want to consolidate your theory, and understand how to analyse those complicated circuits, i think i wrote this article just for you! **broken link removed**

good luck

The first Circuit I ever built successfully was a variable power supply. It was based on an lm338 device. IF built properley it will give you for years of good quality dc power for all of your projects. After ten years I am rebuilding mine using a new case with the TO-220 package device.

If that seems a little too complex try just some simple linear regulators. Say the 7805, and the 7812. They are easy to work with and regulate well.

power453 said:
After ten years I am rebuilding mine using a new case with the TO-220 package device.
What case did the origional have?

If it's TO-3 then I strongly advise you not to bother. The TO3 has a higher power dissipation than the TO-220 package and will give you better performance.

I really don't need all the power it can deliver. It's just nice to have it once in a while. For my real high power needs a 12 deep cycle battery hooked to a trickle charge does nicley.

MonkeysAteMe said:

Thank you.
Welldone MonkeysAteMe you have already turned an LED ON.Now lets put that LED inside a Mouse.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/flashing-a-led-with-mouse.28122/

:D :D :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back