Educate younglings

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did a 5x5 cube it was ok but pretty basic, next one i want a 7x7 RGB pic 30f one i am slowly collecting the leds each month (30 each month), i would go with a tethered quad copter, because you can make it as hard or easy as needed but its got the interesting factor to draw them in, also def go with flow code sorry but from what you describe you dont want the programing to put them off, and as i said before with flow code they can go deeper if they want or if not they can complete complex tasks easily like control the accelerometer needed to keep the copter level, it also gives you a chance to delve a bit more into physics and higher theory without the scare factor.
good marketing is the key you are selling this to older kids so go the wow factor its easy and fun route, the copter thingy draws them in and with flow code you can asses what level they are, for example explain first lesson that with this software you can program things with ease or you can get complex with it either way they can build a neat gadget with huge learning potential in many areas without being scared, plus as a bonus if needed/wanted you can use flow code to teach C ! wich in the long run would be better to learn than BASIC! biggest trouble with basic is there is so many versions that learning one dosnt mean you can use the others! and they seem to come and go like swordfish and oshonsoft . at least with C the fundamentals are all the same so compiler is just matter of choice,
whatever happens please get it right as its a awesome chance for kids that i sorely wish was available where i live, best of luck and hope you have fun as well!
p.s glad you dropped C++ its not much use in electronics, and with C# for computers i think C++ has come and gone

As for a quadrocopter to actually work, you need gyro or accelerometer preferable both, pid controllers and quite some mathematics. Yea sure I can drop on some motors and they can control em with an ESC, but I still only have 4 hours a week.
When I took my education, there was plenty of people who struggled with just simple projects, a lot just don't get the hang of it.
There is a difference between an education you chose yourself and then the courses I have to make. I have only like 1/7 the time (right now) than an actual education.
Ive build a quadcopter once http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhNGbjT89w
It
was only a short project, we never made it fly we had like 2 weeks. Plenty of problems, like the oscillation of the pid controller that just didn't want to get right, or issues that we just had problems to figure out. It needed a lot of troubleshooting really and is one of my least succeeded projects
I don't know how you will make a quadcopter with a flowcode
Where did you start? With a quadcopter? Or an led blinking?

I coached a Lego Robotics team (8 - 13yr olds) for 5 years, competing if a variety of venues.

The children weren't ALL there because of interest: I'd say half were there to be baby sat. Thus, generating interest was difficult and on occasion, impossible.

BUT, I will say this for the Lego Mindstorm concept:

1. you can make devices as simple (one motor, frame, max motor power, go fast uncontrolled, crash into wall) or as complex (two wheeled autonomous bot that balances upright, moves in any direction searching, recognizes objects, responds to those objects by avoidance and that can also be remotely controlled with a bluetooth link) as you like. And because of the bluetooth, you can have one bot with it's program regime control another bot as a team.

2. the software is object oriented but the student must still follow normal programming concepts: just without the tedium of setting variables, etc with the far more arcane, and considerably more difficult to learn and use, compiled (or for that matter, interpreted) languages.

I understand that the cost may be prohibitive, but I would not discount the incredible diversity of possible bots (and non-bots, saw a Lego printer!). I know that several local colleges use this system for training in both Electrical, Computer and Mechanical Engineering course segments.

dads incubators got me interested but to learn i had to start with blinking a LED wich at the time seemed boring and a waste of time, was only after i learnt a fair bit that the value of making a Led blink became apparent, i take the point of quad copter so maybe line follower? you can start with led for that, how many weeks you got? as for where would i start i would start with motor control by pwm. but ok quad copter out, main point was you need something that will get attention from the start, telling them they will learn to blink a Led will give you alot of time on your own
as for where to start with flow code i have no idea i have never used it, but i do know someone who was on here learnt from zero knowledge to making a cool aquarium controller with all the bells and whistles including backlit rgb lcd with zero programing knowledge to start with and he used flow code and by the end could tweak it with C , so its got power and apparently easy to use. so with a tight amount of hours like yours it would it the bill of doing something fun to do but without spending huge amounts of time learning a language, no one is going to learn basic in 5 weeks with 4 hours a week and do a fun project.
but you are the teacher and i am the kid so go with what you think is best, i only try and give you a look from a kids view point but again its no longer valid as they are alot older than me, as for my copter i will use accelerometer and gyro and do it in C18, i am only learning C slowly but i have time and it gets easier the more you do.
if you can teach anywhere near as good as those that teach me on here then it will be a success, without the guys on here i would still be blinking a bloody Led!! lol

p.s glad you dropped C++ its not much use in electronics, and with C# for computers i think C++ has come and gone

I sincerely hope not... I don't promote C++, especially on micro's, but with larger systems C++ is still the main programming language to use... Visual basic and C# are still considered RAD tools ( Rapid Development tools ).

There is still a hell of a lot more you can do with C++.... Its the only language ( I think, may be wrong) that supports multiple inheritance... That in itself will prevent its demise.

i like lego i dont use it because of cost but i think its clever, however i dont know any 17 year olds that still play with lego! they might see it as childish no matter how clever it is

i was talking mainly from my point of view I.E pic projects etc with some pc control, i have never used C++ and obviously have zero knowledge or experience of the real world and what goes on in a professional company, so i apologize for making a stupid sweeping comment. but stick by it for general hobbyist type stuff with micros who want to interface with a pc.
anyway i am no longer of any help to this thread as it isnt my age group and all my recommendations were based on my age group, now we know they are alot older than me i doubt i can be any use, but please keep thread updated as i am interested in how it goes for you!
best of luck really hope you enjoy it

so i apologize for making a stupid sweeping comment.
One thing you are not is stupid!! C++ is quite hard to learn, I too use other tools if I can...

As I'm a lone developer I don't need the complexity of object orientated coding, so plain C suits me down to the ground..

If I can get away with it, I still program in basic...

I cannot teach as well as many people in here, that is why I am not a teacher in high end classes. A lot of those who help in here have had jobs for many years in some great company. But I´ve allways liked teaching and I am good at it. So this is a great deal for me and is my first job ever regarding my education. Also I will take over my parents business later on, so I don't have the goal nor time to get any deeper than what is just coming or is needed by me. I am at the age where I should be looking to have kids

Last edited:
Well, I just talked to another school that can maybe lend me the lego NXT. It is a great and easy way to get startet. Thanks for your experience.

had a look at your copter great stuff! i would look at those table things they do to move a ball around by tilting the table. your vid has given me loads to think about and given me some ideas, i wont be using wood tho as i want it lighter then its easier to control as much smaller correction factor needed each time. shame you didnt finish it as it looked awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…