Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

egg turner set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnydot

trying to make an incubator egg turner using this motor **broken link removed** ,I will most likely have a speed controler to slow it further .What I want to do is have a microswitch (limit switch) top and bottom it needs to activate the power every 4 hours untill the microswitch is touched (should take about a minute hopfully longer) and then stop for 4 hours then start again (6 cycles per day) and do this for up to 35 days in a row .Here is a youtube of what I am going to do except I will have more trays above it, but joined so 1 motor will turn all https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NSrMThlyYkA The trays will travel to 45 degrees through lateral 90 degrees and back again 4 hours later .I have been looking at this https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...0FEDhuRX8kz-mDHeQ&sig2=HZdUNgeeTAWPLrKIa6S5-g As a timer ,unfortunatly apart from house wiring I have no experiance or knowledge of what parts to buy ,nor do I feel I am able to work out the wireing loom ! As such I was hopeing for instuctions (drawing) and advice on what parts to buy ,A lot to ask I know but thanks for reading anyhow many thanks Jon

Looks doable. The video shows the motor always rotating in the same direction. Can you confirm yours will too? (The circuit would be more complex if the motor had to reverse direction).

180 degree servo motor... you can control it a slow as you want.. And you don't need any other switches ...

Actually think about it..... you need a micro (or some pwm generator)

Last edited:
Hi Ian and thank you for your reply ,this motor has to be able to lift aprox 25kg ,can a servo motor do this (by servo is this like an actuator?) and sorry I do not know what a pwm generator is

Thanks Alec for responding I could do this with a bit more basic maths (mechanical )I sort of gave up on it as I was initially hoping to have a one way turn that revolved at 1rpm/240 minutes this would be perfect but I was told that I would need layered gearbox's and also that it would be very expensive so I gave up on that idea ....but your comments have given me another train of thought !!!very grateful for that Cheers!! I went back to Bi directional due to not being able to find a 240 volt AC motor that would turn slow enough so I decided to use 12/24 vdc

25kg egg!!! What are you making Jurassic park...:D:D

No seriously... Servo's come in all sizes, They work with pulse widths... Most micros nowadays provide servo connection.... You can also generate Pulses from 555 timers and such... A bit trickier than using a micro, as changing the pulse width slowly over a minute or two requires a bit of circuit... then stopping and then reversing etc...

Would you be interested in using a micro?

25KG of eggs AND aluminium frame ! There will be in this bator only 180 eggsx 70 grams max =12.6 kg of eggs lol as for the rest of your words can you dumb it down for me lol or if you could provide a reference that I can research that would be great my electech knowledge is of one who can follow instructions only I have wired humidistats and thermostats and a house but my knowledge is almost non existant but I love learning!!!

200 pounds that is aprox $310 AU is not a viable and cost effective replacement part ....UNLESS it is a part that ; will remain viable for 10 years ! this incubator will exceed the costs of an available mass produced item as it is BUT I feel that I will be able to pass on the benefit to others from what I have learnt and researched AND it will out porform...I hope!!

can you post a pic of your egg holder set up please? i make incubaotrs that hold over 1500 eggs and use servos to turn them. but the way i do it is to have trough like arrangements that the servos 'rock' back and forth. if you post a pic i might be able to help

I've designed a timer/driver circuit as per the attached which in theory should meet your needs if you opt for the 12V version of the geared motor you linked to in post #1. This circuit also includes a speed control feature at almost no extra cost. Total cost for parts is only a few $.
If you can't build the circuit from the schematic let me know and I'll try to come up with a strip-board layout (I would also need to know if you wanted speed-control or not).
In the circuit C3 and a 1meg trimpot determine the clocking speed of a CD4060 counter. An LED coupled to the Q4 output of the counter monitors the operation and can be used to set up the timing. The Q14 output goes low every 4 hrs to set a latch comprising two NAND gates U2a, U2b of a CD4093 IC.
When the latch is set, pulses from an oscillator comprising gate U2c drive (via U2d, R10 and transistor buffers Q1, Q2) the gate of a power MOSFET M1 to switch it on and hence energise the motor. The mark/space ratio of the pulses and hence the motor speed are controlled by the setting of a 10k pot.
When the motor shaft output arm reaches the top or bottom position it opens a respective one of two limit switches. This resets the latch and so stops the motor drive pulses.
If speed control is not required the components D4, D5, C9, 10k pot, R10, Q1, Q2 can be omitted.
The attached zip file contains files needed for circuit simulation in LTSpice.

Last edited:
very cool thank you I have no idea of what half you said means LOL however I will try to find someone that can make it for me and give a go!! many thanks and yes I was wanting a speed controller ,just out of curiosity what should this unit cost to have it made up?

I forwarded your design to the chap I'm getting the motor of and this was his reply!! :-

sales@motiondynamics.com.au

10:49 PM (10 minutes ago
to me

Looks ok to me, make sure M1 is a good sized mosfet. I’d recommend a irfb3207 with a heatskink, D2 just need to be a 10A-20A clamp diode

Last edited by a moderator:
That FET will do nicely, even if a bit OTT. A heatsink may not be necessary (simulation suggests the FET dissipates ~ 200mW). I agree with the comments re D2/D3.
what should this unit cost to have it made up?
Most of the cost would be labour charge. Your chap would have a better idea than me on that. The actual parts are probably less than $10 (I haven't checked), excluding any fancy box and connectors and having a pcb made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back