egg turner set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
out of interest whats your location?

have a look at this pic
ignore the motor they are rubish. i use a similar setup for egg turning as this but ive replaced the motor with servo's they are around £2-£3 each so a good cheap option and offer a great deal of flexibillty. also allows more eggs per square foot than most systems.

I am in Goonellabah nsw Australia I already have one these mine is the 1620A GQF model these are arond $120 AU

This just came in from Auber intruments ,what do you guys think?-----------Hello Jon,

Sorry for the delay in replying your email. Quite a few customers bought the ASL-51 for incubator. I was thinking about your project. Based on the youtube video, it would pretty easy to do it. You don't need the limit switches. You can set the timer to double delay mode. It will count 4 hours and after that, trigger the motor for a specified time. Then count 4 hours again and so on. You just need to figure out how long it will take for the motor to turn the tray.

The timer can be reset by a momentary switch. If you want to use a switch, you need to make sure that limit switch is a momentary switch, and it can not keep pressed when to rest the timer. So, if you set the timer to dual delay, and set the second delay to a longer time. When the switch is pressed and released, the timer will count 4 hours again and so on.-----------------This is the Pid only $34 US https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...8kz-mDHeQ&sig2=JOxS2yTqGGFKkvKca-hdkw...looks like a very ecconomical buy?

ts, ts ts!

What is your problem?

An egg turner needs to be moved at any desired interval of one hour with the speed low enough to keeps eggs inside the tray.

Again, what's the problem here?

A complete windshield wiper set with a geared motor, a crankshaft and a push rod work perfect for that application.

The windshield wiper drive normally uses 180 degrees (close to 90 degrees) to wipe through full left and full right. Reduce the angle close to 45 degrees left and and you're done!

This can be done by placing the push rod's suspension point further away from the pivot point of the tray or shortening the crank.

For an initial testing arrangement you would probably need a six-pack of beer to salvage the required parts at a car junk yard.

That kind of egg turner guarantees no fried chicken right after they have hatched.

If you keep the number of eggs loaded into one tray balanced around the pivot point you'll get along with a toy motor mounted to a reduction gear.

Even stacking trays won't increase the mechanical work of the turner if loads left and right of the pivot points are balanced.

Life can be easy or just wonderful if you get the right ideas at the right time!

Boncuk

hi jonny,
When you insert a web link, leave a space between your text and the link start, I have edited your posts to leave a space between the hyphens [ -] and the link.

Moderation.

the construction of the turner nor the motor or gearing are not a problem at all .It was finding a timer to engage them at the right intervals and not being electronically minded I sought out advise from those who have a greater knowledge and understanding than I ,cheers for your suggestions!!

hi alec i got them off ebay there are loads of cheap ones on there (chineese of course) ive had around 200 now and all have worked great. cheapest i found in uk was £3

Thanks for that, ghostman11.
Back on topic, I like Boncuk's suggestion re a windscreen-wiper motor/mechanism. Presumably a second limit switch (one is built-in) would be needed?

all my egg turners for chickens only turn the eggs 3 or 5 times a day, i dont like constant turning personaly.
as for humidity i have no idea what the humidity is where you live but a fogger unit seems way way over the top! i use a water trough with a cotton wick that has a fan blow on it depending on the humidity, but you may well have very very dry air there. always go for lower rather than higher humidity, more eggs are lost through drowing than drying. unless you use very accurate humidity sensors i wouldnt worry too much about humidity. personaly i use sht71 sensors but they cost a fortune. what kind of birds are you wanting to hatch i may be able to offer better advice if i know what your hatching, if your going to do mixed batches like chicken and duck then forget the fogger alltogether as you will have to compromise on tempreture and humidity and even the amount of turning anyway.
most experts dont turn the eggs for the first 45 hours (chickens) but if you watch a hen in real life she rarely moves for the first 40 hours or so this is called the set point and can have a dramatic effect on hatch rates. if you want any detailed info on hatching eegs let me know as ive hatched a few eegs myself over the years

Change of name to ghosthen11 then?

lol maybe this is our busiest time of year for hatching eegs so all our incubators are running flat out, but we seem to hatch less and less chickens each year and more and more of the other birds! there just isnt the profit in chickens any more in the uk, we make much more per bird for geese and ducks! although currently we are overun with goselings everywhere! at least they keep the grass short

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…