electric engineer skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello eeryone. my question is, what do I have to know in electronics to find a good job?

Essentially you have to be able to do the job you're applying for, I imagine most employers would be more impressed by previous experience than untried qualifications?. Certainly from the posts on here, asking about final year projects, degree level qualifications could well be completely useless (particularly from India etc.) - I certainly wouldn't employ anyone without serious practical testing.

Nigel.. The age old question... How do you gain working experience without working.....I don't believe intern-ships work out that well... I happened to get my latest apprentice directly from 6th form college... Luckily for me it's worked out fine.. I'm schooling him to HND level.... How graduates are going to faire.....well I don't think it's fair (pun)

Nigel.. The age old question... How do you gain working experience without working

It's VERY, VERY difficult.

But my concern is people in the final year of electronics degrees that don't know simple electronics that 12 year old kids do at school - it means you can't trust a degree these days.

I was talking to a old guy the other year, he did a Bsc then an Msc in Chemistry, then later a business degree. I think he stayed in the Chemical industry, but on the business side.

As my daughter is currently doing a Chemistry Msc, I was talking to him about it.

His company used to get huge piles of applications for jobs from graduates - his initial technique was to glimpse through them and bin all those from Uni's he hadn't heard of

Incidently, my daughter is at a Uni rated fourth in the UK for Chemistry, also ranked number one for women in Chemistry - and it's a really nice place

Some of the things assessors and interviewers do when judging candidates can really stink. There's no objective control in this space at all and, although a meritocracy is supposed to be in effect, a lot of things (not all) come down to personal idiosyncrasies and the impartial viewpoints of people.

Having done a little bit of graduate assessing and interviewing for my employer and the one before (with the current employer they like to ask volunteers to go along to the Universities for the assessment days to do technical interviews, observe team exercises, listen to the personal presentations etc.) I know how bad it can be.

We all know that people tasked with reading CVs can easily throw things in the bin due to bad spelling, grammar or even formatting they don't like. Of course, that would never mean that person wouldn't be an excellent technician. A dyslexic guy that I know is at the top of his field (I think this is true of a high proportion of people suffering from dyslexia). Once or twice he has been tasked with writing papers for review by senior management, I help him out by reviewing it 'cos I'm OK (not infallible!) with speling, grammer and for'matting 'n stuf.

People removing people from consideration based on handshake I have heard too. People adding weight to a person's chances because they had a pony tail was one of the most surprising... their point of view being that "all people with pony tails make good techies".

Now, even though I know this to be true, I didn't think that the interviewer should say it.

When I was assessing, we'd do a day of exercises with the graddies, then get together in a room that evening, we'd go around each candidate in turn - those that had failed the actual aptitude tests on the day were usually immediately rejected - unless that meant no-one was up for consideration then the bar magically got lowered.

Then, with the smaller set, we'd go round the table and give our opinion... a good technical interview could easily save a poor presentation. We had a selection of people assessing, techies, sales, services etc. and, sometimes, someone would rescue a candidate from VMR (that being a "we Very Much Regret" letter) by saying "she'd be perfect for software development" or "I'd support that guy going into Sales".

I think there's a lot of benefit to being a good all-rounder but, with most jobs, you won't go far wrong if you're smart, punctual, have enthusiasm and have a passing ability to present yourself and your output well. Those things are more important when starting-out (which I am assuming about the OP). All the experience - and the higher pay - comes later.

I think I went off-topic by quite some way there... however, I don't care... I wanted to type something, so I did.

Last edited:
My daughter has recently applied for her fourth year work placement, apparently it's VERY hard to get on one - one of the Phd students she's friends with went for EIGHTEEN interviews, and didn't get a place. As he didn't get a place he did his fourth year at York (which is another option, along with a year abroad), and as a result of that he was offered a Phd place and funding - so it wasn't all bad

Anyway, Melissa has only applied for four or five, all outside the UK (apparently you've more chance outside the UK), and she's fairly hopeful as she's a high performing student, does lot's of extra-curricular activities, and should interview well as she has good performance skills (even teaching performance skills to youngsters).

We can only wait and see - she's had no replies yet, but apparently they take anything up to a year!.

Certainly a LOT depends on how well you interview, quiet and shy probably isn't a good idea? - and a lot of students tend to be that way. Part of the chemistry course involves doing presentations as a team, to the rest of the students and the staff, a LOT of the students really struggle with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…