Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric problem, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbj021

When I turn the lights on, or plug anything into the outlets in my living room.. The breaker for bedroom pops. If no lights are on and nothing plugged in, both breakers stay on but once power is used it's popping the bedroom. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You don't give a location which would help as to power distribution based on location?

However, something is seriously wrong or crossed between the breaker panel and the branch circuits. There is no way in a good system branch circuits should do that at the breaker panel.

Ron

The two rooms (areas controlled by separate breakers) are right next to each other. A friend of mine said possibly adding a dedicated neutral to the living room might solve it, I guess this would be assuming they are sharing a neutral? Or it was borrowed by previous owner to put in new light fixtures outlets etc...

You don't say where in the world you are. I guess the USA as you use the word "outlet" not "socket".

Wiring system are very different in different countries.

You say that the breaker in the bedroom trips when load is taken in the living room. Are you saying that the loads in the living room continue to work?

If so, it sounds like the bedroom breaker is a GFI or combined overcurrent/GFI breaker. (RCD in England). I also think that the neutrals are shared or are connected together or to earth.

The load connected to a GFI must have line and neutral go though the GFI. There can be no path to ground, or to any other neutral, from the power conductors of any load that is protected by the GFI. You might need to feed a separate neutral for the bedroom, or rearrange how the GFIs are connected.

Hi, everyone
I have another problem,
My electricity just totally went out in my bathroom and for the attic light. Like a fuse blew.My smoke detector went off...What do I do now? Do I flip a switch or what? I am in an apt complex and don't want to wake my neighbors, or burn down the house either. I looked for a spark or something and saw nothing..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the OP needs to seek the services of a qualified electrician.

Our latest poster (rockwill) is possibly just out for some free advertising (look at the link in his signature line).

JimB

I hate these kinds of problems. In the US, your not allowed to run just a neutral. But AFCI breakers, GFCI breakers will wreck havoc and so will Compact Florescent lights on these circuits and shared neutrals. Some AFCI breakers have been known to have to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back