electroless tinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam2

I read an artical on line that described plating PCB's using tinning crystals.
The artical said it was a simple procedure that worked very well.
The only thing it did not mention was where to get them, or a brand name. Does anyone know about this?
thanks sam

Last edited:
I used the liquid type in the past and it lasted for some time (a long time just took longer to tin).

But the power should last longer as it is a powder. Also, you can do as little as you want and put it in a bottle and use it over and over.

I have only used the liquid, but the powder does seem to sound better. I have not tried it.

Maybe someone else has some input.

I've tried tinning with solder, if i give too much heat to the pcb, some oil (I don't know what to call) makes the solder not to stick on the metal on the pcb.

Bitem2K:

No, this is a liquid you drop in the PCB after etching and the whole PCB gets tinned.

See the link, it should have more information on it.

I've used the liquid tin too. Highly toxic, carcinogenic, and corrosive sh*t! Be really careful with it, and dispose of waste in a responsible manner. Although I'm a tough old codger, the fumes from this leave me gagging.

Be CAREFUL!

bananasoing, it's called oxides =) If the oxides are causing the solder joint to be difficult to make you're not using flux. Flux is a cleaner and protector for the joint under formation that prevents it from being exposed to air so that oxides don't form and ruin it, it also decays rapidly under heat. Most solders have a resin core which acts as flux the first time round, subsequent heatings require flux paste to be applied or the joint quickly deteroriates with exposed to the air heating, oxidizing it internally and make it brittle.

The exact same thing happens during stick welding, a sacrificial flux resin is on the outside of the stick of metal to be welded preventing it from coming into contact with the air.

OIC, thanks. I thought the flux is used only to make the solder to flow smoother.

There is also an "Electrolysis Nickel Plating Solution".

It Gives a Much Better coating than Tin, and with less Oxidation over time.

Unfortunately its a Commerical Product and harder to buy in small quantities.

A Professional Plating company MIGHT give you a bit.

I have never heard of nickle plateing a PCB it's a crappy material to solder to. If you need corrosion resistance tin the board, solder it then coat it with a spray sealer.

Sceadwian said:
I have never heard of nickle plateing a PCB it's a crappy material to solder to. If you need corrosion resistance tin the board, solder it then coat it with a spray sealer.

I Think you should try it Sometime.
Nickel Solders VERY Well with a Tin/Lead Solder.

chemelec said:
I Think you should try it Sometime.
Nickel Solders VERY Well with a Tin/Lead Solder.

Tin/Lead? - oh yes, I remember - how solder used to be in the old days!

I must remember to order some more while you can still get it!.

Chemelec

What is needed to do that (Nickel plate). 9VDC battery? Just plain water?

My Grandfather is out visiting and said he wanted to use old junk silver coins to tin a board and see how it works. Figure I will pass that on to him. Meanwhile we are going to buy the tin solution (power kind and try it; we have never used the power kind).

But we will try it your way as well with silver.

Also, I have the new lead free solder, and I am so glad I have many spools of the tin/lead left. That lead melts so nice..

First, You Can't Electroplate Traces that Don't all Join Together. That is Why they use ELECTROLYSIS Plating.
It NOT Electroplating.

Besides, You need More than Just Plain Water to electroplate.

A Silver Salt (Such as Silver Nitrate, Silver Chloride or Silver Sulfate) and a small amount of Sulphuric Acid would be a possible start.

But Silver is Also NOT GOOD as a coating for PCB's.
** It Tarnishes too Much and too Quickly.

What about using nickel (the process). Sure he has that as well. I would be happy with the tinning soultion myself

Seeing you say ELECTROLYSIS pains me =) Mainly because that particular term is more commonly used for removal of hair I'm not trying to be the grammar police or too fussy I hope but electrolysis is a noun. The proper term would be 'electrolytic' plating, or electroplating. I think you might be confusing 'electrolysis' with 'electroless'
Electrolytic plating requires electrolysis (application of a current) electroless plating doesn't and requires only the chemicals involved to provide the energy to deposit the material.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…