Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnetic Pulse Generator Specs and Radius

Status
Not open for further replies.

InductanceFTW

I wasn't really sure what board to put this in, so it's going here.

I want to state, right away, that I am NOT a stupid 10-year-old kid who plays Modern Warfare too much. Every single time I inquire about EMP's to anyone, they right away assume this.

I wish to build an EMP. I do not want one large enough to take out everything in a 500 meter radius or something, I want one that will disable things inside, let's say, a 20 cm radius. I know they are illegal, but, come on, this is a tiny one being used for some laboratory experiments, and to go on display in my "Electricity" exhibit I have downstairs (that includes a railgun, Tesla Coil, generator, etc.). I don't think the FCC would be too pissed off at that.

So, I need advice on how to build an EMP. I'm not "new" to electricity and electronics (probably intermediate) so no need to explain what a capacitor is or how inductance works. I also need to know if there is an equation that will tell me how large the radius of the pulse will be. Again, I'm not using this to get back at people or ruin things, but for experiments, presentation, and demonstration.

Thank you.

Really don't know many details, just the basic theory of operation. But consider the power you would need to destroy something a 20 cm, is still going to be plenty strong enough to disrupt communications for considerable distance. Have done any searching on the topic in years, as it was clearly not practical. Only my opinion, but unless there has been some renew interest, doubt you are going to find any build ideas, most likely on your own for this one. The closest thing was someone playing with microwave oven guts, not sure if it was real or not. Probably still on the web some place, kind of amusing...

Let me word it again.

I want the pulse to have a radius of 20 cm. Meaning that all electronics within 20 cm would be disabled, outside of that is fine.

How would I go about making that.

Also, I don't want the design that involves explosives.

Let me word it again.

I want the pulse to have a radius of 20 cm. Meaning that all electronics within 20 cm would be disabled, outside of that is fine.

fccinfo@fcc.gov

Ask them. Like you said, I'm sure they won't mind.

Last edited:
Let me word it again.

You can not confine to range to just 20 cm, unless you shield it. Which makes your design super easy, and readily available, it's called a MICROWAVE OVEN.

You need a certain level of power to disable electronics at 20 cm, but it doesn't just stop right there, since it's much stronger than communication signals, it's disruptive influence will be seen much further.

You mentioned a Tesla coil, but not how large. Mine is about 250,000 volts, and I stop using it about 15 years ago, as it seemed to have a bad effect on electronics, like computers, TV, stereo, camera. Could have been coincidence, but haven't had the same problems since ending my experiments. There is a concrete block wall, and an entire room, separating the Tesla Coil, and most sensitive electronics. Even had neighbors comment on poor TV reception.

Electromagnetic waves just don't stop short, once they reach their target.

How can anyone design this for you, if it's not been done, nor likely be realized. Most people wouldn't want to invest the time and money for such a short range anyway, unless it was something they could carry in their pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back