Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic coin flipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZPlayer

Hello guys,

I like to flip coins for whatever reason but I am not too good at it physically, so sometimes they fly away and get lost. So I was wondering if there is a separate device (not a program in iPhone or PDA etc) that simulates coin flipping? There is a ton of schematics for IC555 based coin flipping circuit, but I don't know if there is a pocket or handheld watch-like device for coin flipping. Has anybody seen anything like that?

Thanks to all.

I'm unsure of what you are asking?

Are you simply after a small circuit that randomly picks between two states? (heads or tails) ?

The 555 timer circuits you mentioned, I'm pretty sure they are astable multivibrators that operate at >1khz. When the output is low, one LED is lit, and when the output is high the other..pulling its reset from low to high makes it oscillate very quickly, and when you release the button it stops. The state of the output seems 'random' because it depends on how long you hold down the button. Say if its 1Khz, a period of 1ms. If you held thge button down for an 'odd' number of mmiliseconds the output with be one state, an even number of miliseconds, the other state.

The 555 timer circuit is pretty small, and can easily fit on a bit of 1" square stripboard/perfboard. But there are transistor versions:

http://www.dieelektronikerseite.de/...ltivibrator - Eine unruhige Schaltung S01.GIF
**broken link removed**

Of course a microcontroller could do it, and with its powerdown function give you a long battery life so you hit a button, the Led's flash, then settle on one of them, and stay on for a few seconds then powers down.

Is that what you were after? Techincally of course its not random, but unless you can repeatedly hold down a button for a length of time with milisecond accuracy...it'll do :D

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back