Electronic Components

Sparkshower

so i ordered some components from ali-express, blue disk shaped capacitors. Looking it up i find they are ceramic capacitors so i get the numbers form the old one (103M 1KV 19W), order them, wait, then today they came in the mail.
Well they look a bit different

It just doesn't look right i don't think technology has progressed that much since this TV was made, where did i go wrong?

The TDK ones Mouser sell have 7.5mm lead spacing and look very similar.
Is it thicker than the original one? It could be multilayer rather than single layer.

Or, something to do with the pulse current rating??
(Or it's possible they are dodgy, but it does not seem unreasonable to me).

The PCB has holes to take two different size components.

Should be no problem, going back years I replaced countless ones in TV's etc. and new ones were often much smaller. However, with Chinese suppliers there's always the risk that they could be fake ones? - regardless of size.

Notice the PCB even has hole spacing for that size of capacitor.

I expect a difference in ESR and thus ripple attenuation but depends on circuit impedance, BW. V rating depends on ceramic quality for contaminants and gap, C depends on area/gap ratio. Only testing can verify.

The hole spacing may not have anything to do with the different size cap, based on size alone. It could be that the smaller spacing was for capacitors of a different value/rating used in a different model that uses the same PC board.

The hole spacing may not have anything to do with the different size cap, based on size alone. It could be that the smaller spacing was for capacitors of a different value/rating used in a different model that uses the same PC board.

Almost certainly not, it's quite common for PCB's to have three holes in order to accommodate different size capacitors. Those small blue HV capacitors are a common failure, and from new they can have either physic size fitted - which makes it easier to fit either size as a replacement.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…