Electronic Dead Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

I want to build electronic dead bolt that locks via actuator. The bolt will be attached to the outside of the door on the inside of the apartment (not inside the door like conventional dead bolts). Electronic controlled actuator will slide the bolt in and out of the bracket that will be attached to the door frame. The whole system can only be activated by a wireless remote, so there will be no visible keypads or scanners on the outside of the door.

The problem I have is zero experience with wireless transmitters. I built simple AM, FM circuits but that's about it. Any suggestions on what to use to built a wireless remote? Perhaps I can use infrared by putting a small infrared receiver through the door?

-Thanks

**broken link removed**

You may want to give some thought to one of these as a simple turn key solution. Transmitter is a simple key-fob and it has four channels. Allied Electronics, Digi-Key and Twin Industries (manufacturer) carries them. I have used them with good success in a few applications. Here is a link to Twin Industries. Also I have seen fewer channel versions for less cost from other manufacturers.

Ron

Thanks will order that as soon as my paycheck comes in XD
Now just imagine how confused the thugs will be when they open the standard bolt but still can't get in (I would pay money to see it)

Don't forget a UPS. You don't want to come home to find "you" can't get in because of a power outage..

Ken

Now just imagine how confused the thugs will be when they open the standard bolt but still can't get in (I would pay money to see it)

Hmmm? I would pay money to see the look on your face when you come home one day and find the system has failed and you cant get in for love or money, and need to cut your door down to access your apartment.

Electronic bolts fail and stick in horizontal applications and is why they always have a key backup option.
Another thing is a strong enough magnet placed on the outside of the door over the bolt and you could disengage the bolt by sliding the magnet along.

Your system is not fool proof and is likely to cause you more grief than the scumbag trying to break in.

What happens in the case of a fire if you need to open the door to excape and your wireless fob is nowhere to be found in a hurry, will you add a manual override for internal use.

Personally i would think twice about this design before you rush into it, as there is too many problems that it could cause to yourself.

Pete.

Most people attach their locks to the trim on the edge of the door. That trim is held on with 4 or 5 wire brads or finishing nail. You can put a 100 locks on the door and it is no stronger than the 5 nails that hold on the trim. Give it a good hard kick and trim pulls off and the locks are still locked. Buy some 4 inch long sheet rock type screws that are long enough to go all the way through the trim, sheet rock and into the wall studs. Use the long screws to attach your lock directly to the wall studs. If you can get screws into the wall studs it is much stronger. Now, what is the door made out of? Is the door strong enough to hold the other half of the lock system?

Hell if you need to do all of that, just move to a safer neighborhood.

Ron

Buy a rottweiller, at least you will have something you know to greet you when you get home.

Or as Ron said......................

Last edited:
in our shop we have been stolen ,they dont take time to break the lock of door, they just taked a 6 foot crowbar and pryed the door the lock was in perfect condition but not the door! this jsut take about 30 seconds to do and almost every door is not enough strong for that.

What you need to understand is that different situations require different means to deter theives. Just like in electronics a circuit is designed or built around the intended application, the same is true of securing your property. Sometimes strong doors and dead bolt locks just aren't enough. Therefore I generally suggest the grenade method. Simply enjoy a beer or can of beans. I prefer a beer myself and actually bottled beer but we need the can so drink a canned beer. Only drink one beer! That is important, if you have a 6 pack reserve the remaining 5 beers. Place the grenade in the can making sure it fits nice and the spoon portion is snug. Remove the pin that secures the spoon. Next tie some wire to the top of the grenade and anchor the can to something stable along a travelked path where the theives will likely pass. Tie off the other end of the wire to another fixed stable object. Just be damn sure to remember where this is placed and camoflage the trip wire.

When you close for the day make sure you lock the door so the theives have something to break.

Wait about a block away for the bang! Problem solved. There is a downside in that the cleanup will be a ***** but that is life (or whatever if you are the thief). Rest assured after a few thieves break in and get dispatched to the promissed land the problem will stop. Now you can drink the remaining 5 beers.

Ron

Attachments

• grenade.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 180

A UPS ? Whats That? Oh you mean like a power backup thingy? No **** Sherlock, I am not that much of an idiot to not figure this out. Dual 24V NiCd drill batteries will be more than enough for 100+ cycles in case of power outage. As for fire safety, yes there will be a simple mechanical override. I figured most people here are smart enough to assume the above is part of the design so I did not want to waste white space and my time posting it here.

Oh and good luck using a pocket magnet on a 25Lb force, stepper motor controlled Linear Actuator...

Last edited:

My door is strong enough, it's not one of those cheap hollow ones they sell these days..

LOL!
Sometimes I wish our laws allowed that. There would certainly be less burglaries...

Hell if you need to do all of that, just move to a safer neighborhood.

Ron

No apartment complex is safe here in Toronto, regardless of what area you live in because law enforcement does absolutely nothing about burglaries involving theft of property. Police will just tell you things like:
1) Get an alarm system
2) Insure your home
3) ask neighbors to watch your home when you are away

Last edited:
40 years ago I was in college and thieves had broken into just about everyones place but ours so we figured we would get broken into soon. We put about 1/4 lb of gun power in a pipe with an electric ignitor and attached it to the electrical cord inside a junk TV. We put the TV back together and wrapped a large about of tape over the plug so we didn't forget and accidently plug in the TV ourself. We set the TV in plain sight with a note on top that says, Good working TV as if we had bought it at a yard sale or something. 2 days later we were all gone I returned home about 2 am to find several police cars had the road blocked from all directions. I had to show my ID to prove I lived down that street to get in. I asked what is going so and was told some guy plugged in a stolen TV and it exploded. The police office went on to say, these are the guys we have been looking for their whole house is full of stolen stuff 100s of stereos, TVs, tape players, etc, someone did us a favor. I asked if anyone was hurt he said, no TV was on a strong table the guy was lucky he was bent over below the table when he plugged it in. It blew all the windows out of the house and the neighbors called the police. Smoke was coming out of every window like the place was on fire it was easy to find the correct house. The guys were arrested and they went to jail.

Now C'mon, SABorn was just making sure you had all the bases covered. Had he not mentioned it and had I not been preoccupied with a hand grenade I likely would have brought it up in a subtle fashion.

Interesting but I never associate Toronto or actually Canada in general with any crime. Cleveland, yes, Toronto, nope.

Ron

That's the funniest story I've heard in a long time. Made my day.

Mate, im not a person that will kiss your arse and tell you how wonderful your design is, i will point out the pit falls in your idea with the hope you will find constructive criticism within my comments.

You need to realize we often deal with some total noods here and from the information you gave also put you in this area. So it is often wise to fill in that white space.

As a fail safe i would have the bolts energised locked so if there was a problem you could cut the power to your appartment and access the door, as how many thieves would cut the power before breaking in ?
This keeps it simple and cuts a lot of crap out of the design.

Pete.

I confess, I was a bit frustratted at a time. I do apologies for being rude, from now on I will post every detail about my designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…