Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic joke Christmas gift...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Probably not a good idea, but thinking about it was sort of amusing. My brother is always messing around with me, when I'm working with electricity (hate getting shocked) or soldering, so thought of a little payback gag while wrapping some presents. I was using some of that metallic foil wrapping paper, and started thinking I could hide the guts from a disposable flash camera in the box, with a lead coming off the flash tube, connecting to the wrapping paper. A simple switch on the box lid. When he removes the top, flash, zap. I know the capacitor gives a healthy jolt, unfortunately from personal experience. Haven't felt the sting off the high voltage lead, but figure its lower current, maybe a little less dangerous. Figured I ask and see if anyone thinks its too bad an idea, before going ahead. I know we've had dozens of kids using those flash circuits to shock their friends, so couldn't be too bad. Little concerned about retaliation, since he's unemployed, and I'm still punching the clock...

Dont shock him as it may lead to a hart attack, make the box vibrate like he is getting shocked.

How would shocking him make a deer attack him? Though a deer attack would be shocking. ;)

Ken

Deer?

Harvey go for it. I'm a sucker for a good practical joke. I'd like to hear what the retaliation is also. :D

I've got his gift in a box, and foil wrapping paper covering the bottom and lid, will be simple to add the flash board. Figure on using a string on the lid, to trigger the flash when the box is fully open, so the flash is visible. Been working late, so haven't gotten around to ripping apart a camera yet. Hoping for a short day tomorrow or Friday. My brother is in good health, no medical issues, so not too worried about heart attacks, although he is 45 years old, and getting quite a belly on him. Don't figure, been unemployed couple years, and gaining weight...

Good one Harvey let us know how it goes and pic's say a thousand words man so make sure you got a digi camera handy. If he gets a bit peeved just tell him to wait until his birthday or some time before.......

Last edited:
Whimped out, just hooked up for the flash. Didn't really see an easy point to solder on a wire, and was a little worried about shocking myself, if the package got a little bounced around. Wasn't entirely sure that just running the single high voltage lead out to the wrapping would work, or if I needed to provide a ground as well. Kind had to rush to throw this together, but guess it's the thought that counts. I'm sure he'll enjoy it this afternoon, and the crisp $100 bill that pops out too...

Few photos I took before going to Christmas dinner. Turned out pretty good, my brother jumped a little, and almost dropped it. He enjoyed it so much, he took it in the kitchen, and had his girlfriend open it, who screamed and immediately let go of it.

Attachments

• P1010863.JPG
    P1010863.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 153
  • P1010866.JPG
    P1010866.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 146
  • P1010867.JPG
    P1010867.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 297
Status
Not open for further replies.