Electronic Lock using 8051 + wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

navam

hii guys,
I have my minor project this semester(6th sem).
I am planning on making a digital lock using 8051 which will use a 4 digit code to lock and unlock a device, pretty much similar to this..
**broken link removed**

I wanted your opinion on whether i can add any innovative feature to it like wirelessly changing the code (i don't know how but sounds good) or anyother feature u feel we can add to it...

Please please people throw in your ideas..

thanking you
Navam
NIT Hamirpur

Make a system so that anyone watching the user (like with a hidden camera) cannot see what buttons they push! Keypad locks are terrible security, on some buildings you can even see the 4 keys worn down where they keep entering the 4 digit combination to get in!

What about having a tiny window so only the one user can see the display, then use 2 (up/down) buttons to enter the 4 digit combination? You can then use 2 nice strong tamper-proof stainless buttons like they use on public equipment and it will be very secure.

Also, make it so every time a wrong combination is entered it multiplys a time-out of a few seconds so by the time they enter 10 wrong codes they will be waiting a few minutes for the next chance to enter a code. That defeats brute forcing the combination.

We use cypher locks and keypads similar to the panel on the left in this link. Small image but you should get the idea. The keypad is actually rocker switches embedded down in a metal container. First I pass my badge over a sensor, then I need to enter a code unique to me based on my badge. You learn the feel of the rocker switches so once you put your hand in there nobody can see which switches you press. Hell, you can't see them.

Ron

You need a code that changes all the time, maybe by the date. Andy

if anyone can tell me (off topic ) i made thread and it says waiting moderator approval how much time will it take >.<

You need a code that changes all the time, maybe by the date. Andy

Codes that change all the time are a pain. We change every 30 days and it is a pain. That discounts different long passwords for different secure networks. Those need changed every 30 days. It's OK if you forget who you are as long as you have your badge and remember all the codes and passwords.

Ron

Thanks for your valuable suggestions guys..

I wanted to ask one thing.

Is it possible to build a system which can access and change the password of the lock wirelessly???

If not, can I add any wireless feature to this lock??

regards
Navam

Is it possible to build a system which can access and change the password of the lock wirelessly???

Sure, if you want it to have terrible security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…