Electronic Shark Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone know what frequency this unit operates on?

**broken link removed**

From what I understand, this thing transmitts some frequncy ( or frequncies ) that a shark cannot withstand, so it leaves the area immidiatly upon entering the effective transmitter zone. Since I like scuba diving but cannot afford $800 gadget, I was wondering if I can make my own ghetto version.

Thanks

Hello.
A $800 device can have about $8 in parts...

There is several 'ghetto' versions you can try. Pic ANY frequency of your choice and test. Or perhaps, sweep a frequency range. TEST is the hardest part of your project.

I always wondered if a piezoelectric lighter, properly waterproofed with the terminals at the tip of a pole can give a shock to its nearby zone, (includes the diver) when triggered.

My favorite plan (to try yet) is a 200mW waterproofed green laser. Aimed to shark eyes, should produce permanent blindness in less than one second, and from a safe distance... if you see it coming.

Especulating, try if protects the rear end, attaching magnets to the fin tips :

---> Geeky Rare-Earth Magnets Repel Sharks

Now you have something to tinker with.

-Diver too-

Edited - added---> Seems I guessed fine. Check US patent 7,302,905 for the range of frequencies plus details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…