Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Spark Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently working on what I call a High Voltage Sparker which is based on the same basic principle as a Tesla coil. It is basically made of 3 transistors, 2 old TV flybacks a bunch of capacitors and a spark plug. It can generate sparks aout 5 cm long. If that's two much, you can remove the second flyback. If you're interested I could post a schematic.

I am currently working on what I call a High Voltage Sparker which is based on the same basic principle as a Tesla coil. It is basically made of 3 transistors, 2 old TV flybacks a bunch of capacitors and a spark plug. It can generate sparks aout 5 cm long. If that's two much, you can remove the second flyback. If you're interested I could post a schematic.

That sounds interesting but might be a little overkill. I made a spud gun before with a 4 foot long 2" PVC barrel that launched potatoes several hundred feet at least. I used hair spray as the fuel and a BBQ igniter to fire the thing. It is a low cost and readily available solution that doesn't require power or messing with potentially dangerous high voltages. IMHO.

You're right, total overkill. But that circuit is a lot of fun... If you ever need bigger sparks, let me know...

I would suggest using a simple CDI ignition as is used in model airplanes and boats. This link is a DIY version. This is a forum devoted to that version. You do not need a microcontroller to just get sparks.

In case you are adventuresome, here are reverse engineered circuits from a Chinese (left) and American (right) commercial CDI units.

Chinese.pngAmerican.png

Most people stumble on making the transformer. For single sparks as one would use in a spud gun, a transformer from an electronic flyswatter, CCFL, or similar will work. You will not need the hall switch. A simple push button will work. Finally, be aware that all of these circuits may give a spark when first turned on. be sure, therefore, to have the circuit turned on before loading your spud gun, or you may get a surprise.

John

Edit: Ignore the thumbnails. They somehow got inserted and I can't delete them.

Attachments

• Comparison.png
    Comparison.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back