Electronic transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning

Can I use electronic transformer for the audio circuit as power supply need ?

Can you tell me whether the electronic transformer will compatible with audio circuit ? Actually, I want to use the electronic transformer of the LED lamp for my audio circuit. Moreover, I like to ignore the conventional transformer for my audio circuit due to its weight and big size.

Last edited:
If the 'electronic transformer' is a fixed voltage source then yes, providing the voltage and current ratings of the source are suitable for your audio equipment. However, if the LED lamp 'transformer' is a constant-current supply then probably no.

Most 'electronic tranformers' generate switching noise in the 10kHz to low MHz range. Can produce some awful results when combined with HiFi audio equipment. I would look for an older "heavy" line-frequency (50-60Hz) plug-in transformer (Wall-Wart).

Thank you for your reply !

But my electronic transformer show this message on its body '12V.H.F' as also I giving you all technical details about it. So tell me whether it will work for my audio circuit as power supply. Here it is the details:

Electrical :
Input Supply 240 V ±10% 50/60 Hz.
Input Current 210 mA ± 10%
Input Power 55 VA max.
Power Factor cos Ø > 0.95
Output Voltage 12 V AC ± 5%
Output Current 4 Amp. ± 5%
Output Load 50 Watt
Output Frequency 50 KHz ±10%

Environmental :
EMI / RFI Conf. to IEC-1000-4.
Humming Noise Not at all
Ambient Temp. (Ta) 50°C max.
Max. CaseTemp (Tc) 20°C above Ta

Output Voltage 12 V AC ± 5%

You need 12V DC!

Also, there is no indication if this power supply provides isolation from the line side to the load side. If no isolation, it is a death trap!

But if I can convert the 12V AC into 12V DC through the power supply circuit which converts the AC to DC. So why it will not work for the audio circuit ? I don't understand it !

Yes you could rectify the 12V AC to get DC. The peak DC voltage would be ~ 17V, which may be too high for your (unspecified) audio kit. You would also have to provide a large amount of smoothing (big capacitor) and probably components for suppression of 50kHz switching noise. Is it worth the effort?

If it is possible, then what is the problem if I can try it ? If I could break the barrier, then I will lead it !

If it is possible, then what is the problem if I can try it ? If I could break the barrier, then I will lead it !

Well, there is the small matter that you may kill yourself:
"... there is no indication if this power supply provides isolation from the line side to the load side. If no isolation, it is a death trap!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…