Electronic Twister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevors

Hello people,
I watched a movie over the weekend and saw twister being played - thought of making an electronic 'spinner'. Having an infrared receiver connected to the input of a microcontroller and when the button is pressed and held down, Leds connected to the output would chase at high speed. Once the button is released, the leds should slow down and eventually stop on one of them. How can this be implemented. I thought about maybe using Charlieplexing but I'm not very familiar with that. Also thought maybe PWM could be used and this could be connected to the clock input of cascaded 4017's.
Replies appreciated.

This is most easily done with a micro controller.

Use a matrix of multiplexed 3 color LEDs.

PWM can be used to control the intensity and color of the LEDs.

Google for "LED cube" except for the physical layout of the LEDs the hardware should be about the same.

Txs 3v0,
The only problem with that is that twister has four colours. Also, I don't want to control the intensity of the led's but the speed with which they chase (kinda like an electronic roulette table)

Trevors said:
Txs 3v0,
The only problem with that is that twister has four colours. Also, I don't want to control the intensity of the led's but the speed with which they chase (kinda like an electronic roulette table)

You can create any color using the 3 primary colors at various intensities.

The chase effect is done in software. It is created by sequencing the lights. Use a set of tables where each table described a given static light pattern. By showing each pattern in the correct sequence the lights will chase. The chase speed is controlled by how fast you switch patterns.

The programming is a little out of my depth at the moment but hopefully, in the not too distant future, I'll be able to do this. Your idea puts a lovely 'twist' on mine.
Txs for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…