Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronics input for resturants

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherial

banggood electronics
sir/mam i had an idea that resturants should have a display screen on their tables with given keys to enter their order, so i wanted to know about the working of such type screen . for example in ATM.

The screen will be a display device, either CRT, LCD, or other. As the designer, YOU pick that. The keyboard is also one of your choosing. The interface back to the kitchen will also be of your design. It can be anything you want it to be. So you are looking to design a network, central processor (server) in the kitchen with terminals (input/display devices) at the table. The configuration/interface is wide open.

Most ATM's use a CRT (cathode ray tube), like a television set. The newer ones use LCD displays. They don't like to talk about their interfaces, but it's just a networked serial device, highly encrypted.

P.S. a popular restaurant (greasy spoon) near me uses telephones at the tables, and uses a model railroad/track system to deliver the food (yes, Fritz's).

I have never ordered food at an ATM. ;) I have seen table-top, electronic ordering in a fast food restaurant at least 20 years ago. There are some inherent problems with allowing people to order food and have it delivered without having them first pay for it at the type of restaurants such a device might be popular. In theory, food cannot be returned to the preparation area.

Are you asking simply for how a touch screen works?

John

Might be easier and cheaper to just buy a bunch of cheap tablet computers and use standard wifi networking. Then you'll just have to write software for the devices and host. Unless you aim to make them pay via those? (security risk). Also they could just run off with the tablets, so perhaps securing them to the table somehow - risking spilling things on them, or smashing them. Then there's hygiene etc...

Building a system from scratch will be time consuming, expensive, and still won't overcome the pitfalls of the above idea.

As for just being curious, each device would be an embedded computer, often ATM's and in-shop touch screen displays actually run windows, and custom software, because its easier to buy them as conventional small form-factor PC's rather than custom builds. That also means all the standards for connections have been worked out (VGA for the screen, power supplies, networking etc..). These are hardly portable though, and require a power and network connection (you could go wifi).

I believe some trendy restaurants in London are doing this, but I suspect its more of a gimmick than to increase profits. Customers would still want waiters and waitresses around, because its all part of the restaurant 'experience', that and customers can't ask for specifics like 'no potatoes'. Sometimes, even when the technology allows, and seems like it should make life easier - it can't replace old methods :)

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm aware that the idea of using screens/keypads at restaurant tables has been patented already.....so watch out for lawyers in your restaurant :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back