Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronique/microelectronic engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuby

Electronic/microelectronic engineering

Hi, I'm new here, my name is Hichem, I'm 17(18 this novembre) and I'm Algerian, I want to take bachelor in Microelectronic engineering or electronic engineering, so I'd like to know if I need some background to be able to handle this major? or things that I should know before ?

Extra informations: Back in high school I was very good and intrested in physics, especially in electricity (in which I always got a full mark), and I was good in math too.
Electronic seems like something facinating and interesting too me, besides my father is an Electrical engineer, who always inspired me.

Thanks in advance, and I hope this forum will be helpful for me in the future, and I'll spend good times here;)

PS:As you can see my english is poor, but I want to take microelectronic engi. in Canada(quebec, Universite du quebec a montreal) and my french is way better than english.

Last edited:
Hey there.. I am from India and pursuing my degree in Electronics Engineering. Nice to see you enthusiastic about the course you want to pursue.

I don not have any idea as to how education is in your country, but here we do not require any pre-requisite as such. The only thing that was needed was descent proficiency in mathematics. I guess that is common to everyone. U need to be good in maths.

But you have mentioned you are good with maths and physics. If that is the case i do not see any problems and you do need any pre-requisites as such. If you are enthusiastic in learning new things however, i suggest you can start using computer aided simulation softwares such as pspice, this will be o0f help to you in future.

The basic pre-requisite to do anything these days, not only electronics, is interest. looking into the way you have described i am sure you are interested and excited about entering into electronics. That in itself is a very important pre-requisite and you have cleared that.

All the best!

Hi, and thanks for your help
raviram87 said:
I don not have any idea as to how education is in your country, but here we do not require any pre-requisite as such. The only thing that was needed was descent proficiency in mathematics. I guess that is common to everyone. U need to be good in maths.
Do you mean in India ?
I'm not applying for electronic engineering in Algeria, i'm gonna do it in Canada.
raviram said:
But you have mentioned you are good with maths and physics. If that is the case i do not see any problems and you do need any pre-requisites as such. If you are enthusiastic in learning new things however, i suggest you can start using computer aided simulation softwares such as pspice, this will be o0f help to you in future.
What are computer aided simulation softwares ?

hello.. i knew you were from one French speaking country when you wrote "electronique" with the "que" at the end! I am half egyptian half french, and i am doing my master degree in mechatronics engineering in France.

You don't need a lot to prepare. the best you can do is to practice some electronics, try to build some circuits, read some books, etc, but stay close to the practical point of view, believe me this will put you ahead of all your class. Being able to imagine electronic circuits at a glance is a skill that is only gained with experience, and will help you a lot in your career.

good luck, and welcome to the forum.

ikalogic said:
hello.. i knew you were from one French speaking country when you wrote "electronique" with the "que" at the end! I am half egyptian half french, and i am doing my master degree in mechatronics engineering in France.

So presumably you speak (at least) Egyptian, French and English - no one likes anybody that clever! :D

Your English is pretty good for your third language.

Yah, I don't like it when people can speak more languages than I can. Makes me feel unspecial. (actually it's way worse when they speak less languages and still suck more at the ones they do speak).

THe theory isn't what will get you...it's the execution! So just build a bunch of stuff. It doesn't matter whether or not you realy understand how it's working- they'll beat that into you during school.

ikalogic said:
Lol you know that Algeria is an arabic speaking country ^^
You don't need a lot to prepare. the best you can do is to practice some electronics, try to build some circuits, read some books, etc, but stay close to the practical point of view, believe me this will put you ahead of all your class. Being able to imagine electronic circuits at a glance is a skill that is only gained with experience, and will help you a lot in your career.
I know nothing about electronics ! how can I build circuits !?

And thanks for your help;)

Last edited:
Well, it IS an arabic speaking country, but since my French ancestors came in and occupied it, french is comonly spoken in Algeria right?

(i am making some fun of it, but it does not mean that i agree with that!)

About starting to build circuit.. do you have something like RadioShake stores in Alger? (i suppose you live in the capital!) Or can you make online orders? here is the kit i bought to start electronics when i knew absolutely nothing about ICs Diodes, and resistors! it comes with a book and all the material you need.
here it is,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000I0YYVS
or this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00005K86O

NOTE: i know it may seem suitable to children, it is, but it is also a great tool when you know absolutely nothing about it! and as a grown up, you can go further than children, and analyze the circuits you're building, and make faster progress.. i remember i finished the smth like 40 projects from the book in a couple of days...

Last edited:
ikalogic said:
Well, it IS an arabic speaking country, but since my French ancestors came in and occupied it, french is comonly spoken in Algeria right?
It's like you speak english in Egypte, we speak french in Algeria.
About starting to build circuit.. do you have something like RadioShake stores in Alger? (i suppose you live in the capital!) Or can you make online orders? here is the kit i bought to start electronics when i knew absolutely nothing about ICs Diodes, and resistors! it comes with a book and all the material you need.
here it is,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00... IN=B000I0YYVS
or this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00... IN=B00005K86O
I live in UAE now, it's easy to find a RadioShake store here..

So, are you telling me that this is a toy for children?(I'm not a grown up either ^^)

Hichem - I think it would be a good idea to check with universities where you plan to study. You might check with the university in Montreal. They have a good program at Rochester Institute of Technology - not all that far from Montreal. The RIT hockey team is mostly Canadians. It sounds like you have a good start but maybe you can improve your abilities and chances by getting good information from the colleges and universities that you might attend.

ikalogic said:
looooooooool what languages do you speak?
I can only really do school and stuff like that in English. I speak Vietnamese (ie. I can argue with someone over the phone with it and get around just fine). I only know enough French and Japanese to maybe make my way around the street, although I don't know how rusty I am with French.

dknguyen said:
I can only really do school and stuff like that in English. I speak Vietnamese (ie. I can argue with someone over the phone with it and get around just fine). I only know enough French and Japanese to maybe make my way around the street, although I don't know how rusty I am with French.

Now I'm getting really depressed! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back