Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eleltronics goof needs help making a 4 wheel electric scooter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugateddy11

Hi. I'm a complete newb when it comes to electronics, especially making them. I want to build a simple 4 wheel electric scooter. I've been looking all around on the net to find any schematics, or pictures. Thus, I have had no luck. There is a website where I could buy the info on how to make it, but it costs $20, and I don't want to pay for the info. I basically want to build one like this:

2005-06-11-science.html

I want mine to go at least 15mph, and I want to make it accelerate when I pull the lever down. I don't want to accelerate it like Fred Flintstone does.

Could anyone please tell me what parts I need to make this project successful.
I would need a detailed instrusction on how to build it all. It needs to be so easy to understand, that even a newb can do it.

Thanks.

Hi. I'm a complete newb when it comes to electronics, especially making them. I want to build a simple 4 wheel electric scooter. I've been looking all around on the net to find any schematics, or pictures. Thus, I have had no luck. There is a website where I could buy the info on how to make it, but it costs $20, and I don't want to pay for the info. I basically want to build one like this:

2005-06-11-science.html

I want mine to go at least 15mph, and I want to make it accelerate when I pull the lever down. I don't want to accelerate it like Fred Flintstone does.

Could anyone please tell me what parts I need to make this project successful.
I would need a detailed instrusction on how to build it all. It needs to be so easy to understand, that even a newb can do it.

Thanks.

You will find more info on an electric bicycle forum I would think.
The propulsion part is much the same whether it has two wheels or four.

Another electric scooter post... I wonder if this is another school project...

Basically, you need a motor, a battery, and a variable pulse-width modulated power controller. That last one's the *****, of course. Selection of the first two will narrow down what you have to do to drive it. Remember that power = volts x amps, so if you pick a voltage that's too low, the amperage will have to be crazy huge to get any power out of it. I'm guessing a 24 - 48V system would probably be about right, so the first thing to do would be to start looking at 1 - 5 hp electric motors in that range. A 5hp motor is going to pull more than 150 amps at 24V, 75 amps at 48V. This is like the starting current for a car or truck, so think big heavy battery cables and all.

I found a variable pulse-width modulated power controller from,
Electric Scooter Speed Controllers from ElectricScooterParts.com

It's the CT-611B9 36V 500W Electric Scooter Speed Controller

Now how would you connect the motor, the battery, and the speed controller?

Also, how would I get some kind of led indicator that tells me how much power is left before it needs recharging? Also how long would it take to recharge a 36 volt battery?

Do I also need just 1 motor? I'm thinking about a 500 watt motor. If I have anymore questions, I'll be back.

Last edited:
sugateddy11

I have used the MC-7 motor controller with scooter motors. The circuit is
laid out well. I have damaged mine a couple of times with careless wiring etc.
and was able to make the repairs myself. The service department is really helpful
and sent me repair parts and gave me repair advice quickly. I feel this circuit is worth
consideration based on the needs you described.

**broken link removed**

Here are some of the specs from their website:
# Model MC7: ONE controller for 12 volt to 36 volt applications. No need to make a choice now then have to purchase a new controller if your system changes.
# 35 amps continuous (Fan cooling required when operating at 36 volts)
# PWM output, continuously variable speed from stop to full forward or reverse.
# Compact circuit board approx. 3.75" X 5.75" w/ 4 mounting holes.
# Utilizes 3 IRFZ48 power hexfets for motor control with massive individual heatsinks
# PCB traces are 2 oz. copper instead of the standard 1 oz copper found on most other PCB's.
Control it manually with only 2 components needed- a standard 5K linear taper potentiometer for speed and a SPDT toggle w/ center off for direction control.

Hope this information was helpful.
cbud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back