elevator design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikram

my final project is about designing an elevator, so i need some ideas to start to study about an ideal elevator, then make simulation by using AC three phase induction motor, and build a model by using DC motors. please reply me.

I assume that this is an elevator which people would ride inside, as found in a hotel etc.

Consider the safety aspects:
What happens when the power fails?
What happens when the power comes back on?
What happens when the cable breaks?
The doors must not open when the lift is moving
The doors must only open when the lift is at the correct position at each floor.
What happens when the lift is overloaded?
What happens when a fire is detected in the building?

The solutions to many of these problems may be mechanical rather than electrical/electronic.

Also consider some of the ergonomics:
Smooth acceleration so that it does not jerk when stopped/started.
Where will it stop first when several people press the call button at the same time on different floors.

Do these ideas get you started?

JimB

but i will ask about the types of the sensors that will be used and thier positions.
more and more thank you

I'd start with building the induction motor driver...it would need to be vector control wouldn't it? THat is a very intense project in itself, let alone having to deal with the stuff that makes an elevator an elevator.

Clarify and they will answer

Hello ikram,

It would be helpful if you would be more specific as to what part of your final project is giving you problems. As stated, your question suggests you haven't yet given it much thought (as Hero999 implies, sort of).

I gather from your last question, since you talk about "the types of the sensors that will be used", that this is probably an undergraduate level ucontroller/circuits/mechantronics-type class-project (except for the induction motor part... ouch, as dknguyen says, that's a project in itself). I will proceed assuming it is.

Design projects are supposed to make you think! Ask yourself, "If I'm in an elevator, what do I want it to do?" JimB gives a nice list of questions you should ask as yourself as you proceed.

Use your imagination. Your class is pointless unless you do.

If I am correct and this is a mechatronics-type project, then your task will be most easily solved using the state machine concept. Try this link for a tutorial:
**broken link removed**

Hope that helps!
-MEShocked

P.S.: Please do capitalize the first letter of each sentence (otherwise people may not take you seriously).

Writing good, efficient software for controlling a bank of four or six elevators ("lifts" for those units across the pond) in a tall building to handle high demand and run with a minimum of "milk runs" is half the battle of elevator design. Really not much different than the software for a good traffic light at a multi-lane intersection.

Dean

Thanks you:
the replies are important points. So I will focus in the elevator model (DC motors).

P.S.: Please do capitalize the first letter of each sentence (otherwise people may not take you seriously).

Sorry MEShocked for errors; I know little in English (I am arabic)
Thank you

Make a reversible DC motor driver first with absolute position control with load detection. After that it's just coding the elevator algorithm for detecting a bunch of button presses and sequencing it properly...that and hanging the elevator along a pulley.

I decided to use seperetly excited motor, but I must take some parameters of it, and I do not exactly do that.

ikram said:
but i will ask about the types of the sensors that will be used and thier positions.
more and more thank you
The type of sensors are magnetic sensors for the lift. Finding where it is and ir photo sensors. Check this site about the magnetic sensors.They are manufactures and sells also ir photo sensors:

www.analysis-ltd.com.gr

I will ask if i need to vary the speed of motor if the model consists of four floors, and the speed must be constant regardless of the load and the number of floors that must go through. Just i need smooth accelaration at starting and smooth decceleration when it stops.

Hello everyone, so sorry to bother you but I'm new here. Also I am new to the Electronics World so if may I ask, I would like to ask you for small help in my elevator simulation project. I am intend to build a 4 storey elevator simulation. The car elevator is suppose to run by using a dc motor with small weights. Also I am thinking to use proximity sensors for level indication and stepper motor for the door opens/closes. Also I am thinking to control it with the 8051C microcontroller. I have a big problem regarding the design of the hardware and I have merely no idea where to start from, can anybody help me please?

Many Thanks in Advice...........

Amy

Deleted post.. didn't realize this was a very old thread.

Last edited:

Maybe you should try a PIC microcontroller.

You need drivers for your motors, you will need the supporting components for the microcontroller, and you will need to make a program for the elevator.

If you haven't used a microcontroller before, then I think this is a very big project for you to undertake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…