Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Embedded Ethernet...Lantronix XPort

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to do a home monitoring project, that can viewed over the web. I think the Lantronix Xport will suit my needs to serve up a web page, with input coming from a Pic thru a Maxstream Zigbee module.

The Pic to Zigbee was pretty easy. But, a little apprehensive about making my own custom Lantronix (Java) web pages. They have an example in their technical support question and answer 'creating custom web pages', ...:eek: !! Maybe their default web page will do? Right now, would just like to serve up a few temp sensors, formatted in seperate update boxes, with some simple graphics and text.

Can anyone enlighten me on this topic? Appreciate any experiences, or references.

Thanks,
Kent

P.S. Not ready to take on 18f97J60 or similar kit project at this time

RonSimpson,

Your site looks great! Exactly what my intentions are. The Siteplayer looks very effective, plus it has a more intuitive web interface. The bare module at $30 is tempting, as I will need to interface the 3V zigbee anyways.

The Lantronix might be more powerful, but not sure if the added complexity is worth the hassle.

Thanks for the links. Sometimes web searching just doesn't get the right answer, as three of your links never showed up, or just buried too deep.

Kent

I have been playing with home automation for 20+years. This is my third generation now. It is built on a board I got from:
http://www.basic-tiger.com/ I used the tiny tiger starter kit. It comes with a very nice multitasking BASIC compiler. I like the multitasking because each “program” is small. The water sprinkler program is separate from the security program and so on. They have internet options now but I got my working before the Basic-Tiger did, so I used the Siteplayer. Many of the Tigers have a built in real time clock. Email me if you have home automation ides.
rons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back