Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Emergency Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtr_stitch

Hey all...
I've been kinda tossing around an idea I had for a while now. I'm certain there are products I can actually buy that would satisfy my needs, but where's the fun in that?
Anyways, my project is this - taking multiple inputs (solar cell, battery, car charger adapter) and using a voltage regulator to charge a phone in an emergency type situation...like a hurricane evacuation (since I live on the gulf, this is always a reality). I already have a car charger ( which I still feel was over priced) so really I'm just working with the battery and solar cell.
But I've run into a problem...
The solar cell I scavenged from a rusted bug zapper only puts out 3.5V. I could probably wire a couple of them together to get a good voltage, but again, there seems to be more fun to be had, and my hunger for knowledge always gets the best of me.
I watched afroman's three-part series on power supplies, and he mentioned that transformers only work with A/C...and I could probably use a voltage doubler, but I'm not so sure. Is there a way I can double or step-up the voltage of the cell? Or am I chasing windmills?

Much thanks!

Nevermind...found what I needed. Impatient I am...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back